Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple Quotes
I want to reply to a topic quoting from more than one earlier post. How do I do this easily?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I'm not sure whether this works on these boards, as I am rather new here but this is the way I do it on other places: open all posts in different tabs (with "quote") and copy/paste the entire code into one message.

Apologies if that is what you have been doing anyway and are looking for an easier method. If anyone knows such an easier and faster method, I'd also appreciate reading about it.

Best,
Max
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
If you only want to reply to two posts, here's a simple, if unelegant, method:

Go to the first post and click Quote. Highlight and copy the message, then click Back.

Go the the second message and click Quote, then Paste the copied text of the first quote before the text of the second quote (if you see what I mean!)

That way you have two text quotes in one reply. There may be a more technical way to do this, but I don't know it! And if you want to reply to more than two, you'll have to start opening new tabs, as previously suggested.
Nathan Ross
Thank you, Max and Nathan, for your advice. I had tried Nathan's method yesterday without success. If I selected the text of the first post and then right clicked to get the copy/cut etc. menu, it simply deselected the text. As far as I recall, the same thing happened if I tried to copy the second post first. If I selected the text and tried to copy it using the keyboard, it did not copy. Today, however, I have been able to copy the second post and then paste it to the first, but not the other way round. It's all beyond me!
Michael King Macdona

Quote:If you only want to reply to two posts, here's a simple, if unelegant, method:
Go to the first post and click Quote. Highlight and copy the message, then click Back.
Go the the second message and click Quote, then Paste the copied text of the first quote before the text of the second quote .
Works for me Nathan. Most of the time though I first paste it in a Word doc, that way it does not vanish should RAT time out, plus I prevent spelling errors.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Nathan Ross post=296039 Wrote:If you only want to reply to two posts, here's a simple, if unelegant, method:
Go the the second message and click Quote, then Paste the copied text of the first quote before the text of the second quote .
Works for me Nathan. Most of the time though I first paste it in a Word doc, that way it does not vanish should RAT time out, plus I prevent spelling errors.. Big Grin

How do you get round the deselection problem or do you not have that?
Michael King Macdona

I don't. I always copy the [quote = mr X part and add the [/quote] at the end of the quoted sentence. It works so well that I hadd to re-write this sentence three times to show what I did, and not creat a "Mr X said" quote myself! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:It works so well that I hadd to re-write this sentence three times to show what I did
And I still don't understand you! :grin:

But never mind - I think Michael's just asking about his highlighting problem. Michael - it works fine for me on Firefox. Maybe it's a problem with your browser?
Nathan Ross
Quote:I think Michael's just asking about his highlighting problem. Michael - it works fine for me on Firefox. Maybe it's a problem with your browser?

Perhaps it is. As an experiment, I selected your post and then right-clicked, as if I was going to copy it. It did not deselect. I then tried the same with Robert's post and it did deselect. I am completely baffled.
Michael King Macdona

Eureka! I think I've solved it. Having selected the text, I have to place the arrow within the selected area before right-clicking to bring up the copy/cut etc. menu. You all either thought that this was self-evident or were too polite to mention it. Anyway, thank you all for your efforts. As my wife would say (with apologies to The Beatles), "All you need is brains!"
Michael King Macdona

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quotes are hard to read Dan Howard 5 2,559 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius