Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s Gallic War in a french comics adaptation
Hello to all,

first, thanks for this forum full of rare informations, that I've just discovered now.
Sorry if my english is perhaps quite not perfect.

I am the drawner of two french books about the famous Gallic War commented by Julius Caesar, the first will be issued on February 2012 (preview on Angouleme).
With the historian storyteller Tarek, we are doing a personnal point of view on this story, in which Vercingetorix will take a special place, but also we intend to do an archaelogical work on costume, armors and gaul cities from the 50 BC period.
While doing the books, we will travel in France and maybe other countries to participate on gigs /show or exposition. So I'll give you the news if we visit England !
We hope also make with the publisher our own english version, I don't know yet.
I'm not sure that I'm on the right place for this kind of topic, sorry if I disturb

And finally, "world preview" with two pages :

[attachment=1314]GG1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1312]2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1313]6.JPG[/attachment]

the website will have regular news on october/november :

http://guerredesgaules-bd.blogspot.com/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ca C'est magnifique !!!

Very nice looking and well done !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Looks great! Please do an English version too! Confusedmile:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, thanks ! we'll do all the necessary things to have an english limited version, and so maybe an american comic publisher could take a wide distribution in UK/US one day. Anyway, I'll stay here to give the news (and participate at the forum)
Quote:Looks great! Please do an English version too! Confusedmile:

Yes I can confirm you that we'll do a first limited english version, both with the french. Half part of the 1st book is already translated. We are planning some exhibitions in Paris and other places, maybe (why not ?) a tour in England if we find some galleries
From this month you'll find more and more previews, informations, illustrations, oil painting and the first pages on the website :

http://guerredesgaules-bd.blogspot.com/
I like the drawings Vincent, good work!
I can see you did your homework on the celts also.
Never the less I would like to say: If it comes to the Celtic armor and weapons, try to stick more to the real Late La Tene stuff. To me that means more (Agen) Port style and coolus helmets without extra's like cheekplates and such. Also the Celtic cavalry could do with longer parallel egded swords instead of the leaveblad (bronsage) types...
About the shields I would advice to find decorations, that fit the timeperiod alltough that would be difficult. On the otherhand, I think it would be good to gif groups of Celts a sort of uniformity keeping in mind the idea of one nobelmen to a couple of servants that would accompany him on the battlefield. So for a group of Celts that could mean one shield decoration with a whole lot of variation on the same idea, givving the noblemen a more ellaborate deco, then the servants...
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
thank you for your commentary
yes on the first page I mixed some element as ancient sword, because we were finding a mainstream publisher, and despite the excellent work of the celtic reconstitution nowaday in France, they're still thinking that roman=lorica segmentata and fake greek helmet, and celt=moustache and helmet with chicken wings.
I thought so that a small compromise (leaveblad or late Coolus) was acceptable.
But at the end we (with the storyteller) decided to do our own work with a smaller publisher but who understand what we do.
So in general you will see the long celtic sword and the Agen helmet

But I have also my point of view on the "character design", reading books since many years, and loving the Peter Connolly drawning for example.
I decided with the romans to drawn them with both Coolus and Montefortino helmet, with and without cheekplates.It is a choice and I assume this. Our purpose is to give the mentality and complexity of these ancient times, and showing that the celt were a sophisticated people
Hi Vincent, Thanks for the explanation en little insight of the proses.
I do understand the artistic choices and such. I know you have to find your own way in this aspect. Nevertheless, especially after your last statement, (I quote)"and showing that the celt were a sophisticated people". I would love to see you getting a we bit closer to what we know today. Wink

So anyhow, I am looking forward to see more about this project.
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Thank you for sharing your feeling.Added more pics and the cover . We'll be on the Comic con of Angoulême the January 27,28,29.A first limited edition will be on sale at this show, while thee issue in bookshop/online will be around April (both french & english)

more information on the website

[attachment]Cliché 2012-01-05 11-49-49.tiff[/attachment]

[attachment]Cliché 2012-01-04 19-38-39.tiff[/attachment]

[attachment]Cliché 2012-01-04 19-38-15.tiff[/attachment]

[attachment]Cliché 2012-01-05 11-53-23.tiff[/attachment]

also a trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_I2nHBEoc
Thank you for sharing your feeling.Added more pics and the cover . We'll be on the Comic con of Angoulême the January 27,28,29.A first limited edition will be on sale at this show, while thee issue in bookshop/online will be around April (both french & english)

more information on the website

[attachment=2486]Clich2012-01-0511-49-49.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2488]Clich2012-01-0419-38-15.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2489]Clich2012-01-0511-53-23.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2487]Clich2012-01-0419-38-39.jpg[/attachment]

also a trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_I2nHBEoc

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Fantastic artwork, Vincent - congratulations!

I greatly look forward to the English language version 8)
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Looking forward to April, Vincent. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Angoulême, but this comic's certainly on my list.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Hope the expo went well and I'll definitely buy this one!
André
Lovely art work. It really brings the subject to life. Such movement and energy in the stills. Confusedmile: Big Grin 8)

For a minute I thought it was going to be those old Asterix the Gaul comics!

Glad it wasn't (although they were fun too in their own way).
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
I want it.And I want it now! :grin:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caius Trebonius in book Caesar\'s Gallic Wars JeffF 2 1,980 10-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Last Post: JeffF
  Ancient Rome in comics rononmaximus 11 12,909 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Last Post: IGNATIUS LARRASUS PROFUTURUS
  Marvel Comics: Iliad Jona Lendering 20 6,826 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Wander