Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Byzantine warrior impression
Congratulations Patrick Smile surely a gorgeous armour
Vinícius Alexandre Rodrigues
That looks awesome. Byzantine stuff is pretty cool.
After a decade lusting after a gilded parade lamellar I finally achieved that ambition last year. The outfit is based upon the donor portrait of Prôtospatharios Iôannês from the Adrianople Gospels dated to 1007.

I was especially pleased by the way the selective golding on the shoulders turned out, although gold leafing the leather for the sleeves was a pain!

Picture taken by Graham Sumner at DEVA 2012.

BTW, while middle Byzantine art can be very accurate in its depiction of armour, late Byzantine art is overwhelmingly distorted and stylised. The disc cuirasses are actually misunderstood lamellar (which had fallen out of use with 1204) fused with the eastern "mirror armour" (char-aina) which was rapidly taking over in the C14th.

Timothy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Social History and Material Culture of the Enduring Roman Empire.

http://www.levantia.com.au
Awesome depiction. Also, useful to know.
Very nice! I'll bet the guilded leather is a pain. Must need constant attention as well?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very nice to see such a high quality byzantine stuff! And I thought late romans were flashy Wink...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yes, Gaius, it does. Now I am looking for ways to protect it. Time for another batch of Theophilus' varnish perhaps.

T.
Social History and Material Culture of the Enduring Roman Empire.

http://www.levantia.com.au
14th 15th century byzantine officers

Awesome, I love that Era. I always play Byz in EU3 and re-conquer most of Rome by 1600.
An attempt on reconstructing the "Alan cap"

All right! Attention!!!! Inspection by the Megalps Sevastophoros! (Byzantine 13th cent general)

Very impressive, Stefanos! :woot:
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
It is the aim of the "Vandon" team of the KORYVANTES Living History Association to improve.
If fate is kind to us we will be able to reconstruct a fully armored catafract.

Kind regards
Good luck then! Would be fun to see a Kataphraktos reconstructed.
Byzantine infantryman second half of twelfth century Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting towards a Byzantine impression in the Netherlands, svdwal 2 733 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Last Post: svdwal
  Show here your Greek warrior impression spyros 1,103 441,258 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Last Post: emilius