Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Byzantine warrior impression
With the excellent pictures from Chester (courtesy of Graham Sumner), perhaps it's a good idea to show the current level of Byzantine re-enactment in a separate thread?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, I would think that might be a good idea!
Late Roman / Byzantine is a vast area, lasting as long as the preceding Roman eras!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Late Roman / Byzantine is a vast area, lasting as long as the preceding Roman eras!
Just Byzantine Byron, Late Roman is already included in the 'Roman' section. This thread would be for the period 500-1461, which is why we lodge it with the Greek section.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
I have nothing to do with this era as far as re-enacting is concerned,but i think it's a fantastic idea to have such a thread. Hopefully we will see some good impressions and perhaps people will be motivated to build and show off their kit.

I am a bit disappointed on the lack of vividness,comparatively, in the ancient greek thread, but lets hope th byzantine does a good start.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
With an invite like this, how can I resist. I have to say though I have few decent photo's of my own. I think the best so far ware taken at Chester last weekend, but here is one, taken by Tim Dawson as illustration reference for his new book. Hope it loads ok, btw, this is light kit, Kavadion and Turban, still have to have some done of me in mail and helmet.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I seem to be unable to post multiple or full size pics, perhaps I need practice. It also occurred to me, that at the last days in 1453 some of them would have looked more like this.

Or this. This is my 15thC South German munitions armour.

The 15th century Latinikon! Excelent!!!

The New Varaggian Guard in Australia have good Byzantine renctment

And please see this French site:

http://www.fiefetchevalerie.com/fief/?20...ntin-lourd

Kind regards
Thanks for the link, nice to know there are more of us out there. I am still trying to get the hang of posting pictures here, but will post more when I get up to speed.

Pretty much anyone who has had an interest in this area has seen my Byzantine warrior impressions! Otherwise have a look at the military section of http://www.levantia.com.au or the two recent Osprey Warrior volumes on the topic.

There was a mention of the New Varangian Guard in Australia. I was one of the founders in 1981 when no one knew anything about the Enduring Empire. As President I felt duty bound to know something about the group's nominal focus, and that is how I got interested. For about 15 years until I left I was almost the only person in the group who cared, but they have improved since then, although I think that Romios, as distinct from Varangos, is still a minority.

BTW, this topic ought to be under "Roman" not "Greek" for, while Greek was the language they spoke and wrote, they were very far from Classical Greece culturally, and especially militarily.

Timothy

AKA Prôtospatharios kai Strategos Timotheos Vlastaris and others.
Social History and Material Culture of the Enduring Roman Empire.

http://www.levantia.com.au
Quote: Pretty much anyone who has had an interest in this area has seen my Byzantine warrior impressions! Otherwise have a look at the military section of http://www.levantia.com.au or the two recent Osprey Warrior volumes on the topic.
Possibly, but there are always new members around.

Quote:BTW, this topic ought to be under "Roman" not "Greek" for, while Greek was the language they spoke and wrote, they were very far from Classical Greece culturally, and especially militarily.
It could, and indeed I hardly ever use the term 'Byzantine' over 'Roman'. Ideally, 'Byzantine' would have been a 3rd section, covering a 1000 years after all.
The current division has been discussed before on this board. History or language? A Roman of 200 BC or even a 1st c. AD legionary would feel as alien towards a 12th c. Romano-Byzantine as a Classical Greek would.
The decision to put the Byzantine section with the Greek section was made years ago, and in the and it was based on linguistics. Maybe we should move both sections to the Roman part?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Just a couple of photo's taken at Murton Park. The piccy upload seems to have worked nicely this time, perhaps I am getting the hang of it. What I like about photographs is that it is only in them that you see how you really look to others, the once remove that you cannot get in a mirror. And of course, that then leads to self criticism, and I can see a couple of modifications I want to make to this impression of a 10th-11th Cent.Miles.
[attachment=1211]DSCF0025.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1212]xp1jpg.JPG[/attachment]

Am I the only one having problems posting pics here?

Well done Dave!
Here is my partner Mika and I in our Byzantine Varangian Guard kit at The Abbey Tournament 2011 Big Grin

I will post another when I work out how :roll:

Patrick Urquhart
aka Ingvar Carnifex

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting towards a Byzantine impression in the Netherlands, svdwal 2 723 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Last Post: svdwal
  Show here your Greek warrior impression spyros 1,103 433,803 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM
Last Post: emilius