Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCA members?
PS You other SCA people, who are you in the SCA? Kingdom? Now I'm wondering what the possibility is we might know people in common. In the SCA, I am Baron Thomas Buttesthorn, originally from The Province of Southern Shores, Principality of the Mists, Kingdom of the West, now living in The Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac ( Australia/New Zealand)my persona is 14th Century Anglo-Welsh. I also was active around the late 70s early 80s in Clan Colin, recreating a 16th Cent. Scottish clan, much more into historical accuracy. One of my fellow clansmen Bert Ricci was much into Rome but he never mentioned any Roman re-enactment groups then or I might have got into that too.
Caesar audieritis hoc
"now living in The Barony of Southron Gaard, Kingdom of Lochac ( Australia/New Zealand)" Oh Tom can i ask where? I am in the Liverpool area and while i dont play as often will probably attend festival this year. You may very well know ym freids who still go somewhat more often

Regards
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
When you say festival you mean Rowany Festival? I used to know tons of SCA people in Australia... give me some names
Caesar audieritis hoc
Im certain thats the one, If you know Kevin Schunn, Ignasio Mariano (iggy), the other guys I only knwo as Alf (michael) or Grimm (no idea on his real name)
Sorry, no bells ringing, most of the people I knew were active in the 80s and 90s Know any more about them? What groups they belonged to? the names don't sound familiar but its been awhile. Most people are known by their SCA names," Mundane" ( real life) names not so much.
Caesar audieritis hoc
Hello to all,

I am reading this thread with interest regarding SCA.

Though we made some articles for SCA enthusiassts like heavy helmets (12 guage mild steel and stainless steel) with bars,wooden practice swords,gambesons and other related articles. We followed safety rules of Marshal but even then I think that there is room to improve further.

Any help in this regard would highly be appreciated.

Regards,
Suhel
Hi Suhel,

What were you thinking for equipment and changes? from what i've sene in the SCA there wasnt much enthusiasm for Roman equipment, most guys wanted plate armor or German pattern salets.
Hi Damian,

Thanks for message. I sent you a PM in response to your question.

Waiting to hear.

Regards,
Suhel
I tried to reply and quote but got this: 403-Forbidden!
Sorry, but access to this area has been denied based on your computer's IP address (202.78.152.152).

Whats that all about?
Caesar audieritis hoc
Quote:I tried to reply and quote but got this: 403-Forbidden!
Sorry, but access to this area has been denied based on your computer's IP address (202.78.152.152).

Whats that all about?

It might be a glitch. I think this has happened before. You might want to post in this "problems?" thread I linked to in order to let admin know.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I tried to post again but same thing happened... whats funny is I could post to tell you about it.
Caesar audieritis hoc
Quote:Hi Suhel,

What were you thinking for equipment and changes? from what i've sene in the SCA there wasnt much enthusiasm for Roman equipment, most guys wanted plate armor or German pattern salets.
I have rarely seen Roman gear in SCA, almost none. Salets are really good for SCA combat as its very hard to get a solid shot with all the glancing surfaces. Does everyone know what SCA combat entails? You are swinging a weapon weighing at least a kilo maybe more, fas enough and hard enough to constitute a killing blow had they been using a steel weapon. Thats pretty hard. Hence the need for safety and protection. The person who recieves such a blow in an acceptible target area is expected on his or her honor, to fall down dead if its a killing blow, or stop using an arm or leg if the blow lands there. So all attack and no defense is not really an option as it would mean ignoring blows that would have killed you but the protection you were wearing prevented your demise.

They have terms for those who do not take blows, and its not Mr. Popularity. The whole purpose is to enjoy the combat without anyone gettingseriously hurt and party and tell war stories all night. Even with the protection, you do get bruises even through that. Much fodder for war stories that evening.

A common sight at a war, after a day's fighting is someone showing a huge bruise cheerfully proclaiming " You should have seen how I got this..." Everybody expects a few bruises, but no broken bones.

Safety is so important though, the sight of a helm with broken chin strap flying 12 feet over a ferociously fought melee comes to mind.

But between the fighting and partying, an SCA war is about as close to Valhalla as you can get and live to tell about it.
Caesar audieritis hoc
They have terms for those who do not take blows, and its not Mr. Popularity. The whole purpose is to enjoy the combat without anyone gettingseriously hurt and party and tell war stories all night. Even with the protection, you do get bruises even through that. Much fodder for war stories that evening.
Caesar audieritis hoc
A common sight at a war, after a day's fighting is someone showing a huge bruise cheerfully proclaiming " You should have seen how I got this..." Everybody expects a few bruises, but no broken bones.
Caesar audieritis hoc
its letting me do small pieces here and there with a lot of no goes between
Caesar audieritis hoc