Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this work? Filipino WW2 knife
I am starting this as a general reenactment thread to reuse/recycle old weaponry or other items for peer accepted use.

I have a Filipino WW2 knife that to me looks like it could be acceptable as a Macedonian Machaira given the shape and simplicity of materials. It is kind of beat up and I am going for a peltast or something similar as I really like to throw javelins and AFIAK a peltast doesn't require much armor. I do plan on moving up through the ranks as time goes by and would keep this as a secondary weapon/tool.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
The type of blade is similar to blades used in the Greek Revolution of 1821 against the Turks.
But i have no knowledge if the blade came from the east at some time.
You need to modify the handle a lot to make it passable for an ancient Greek blade.

Kind regards
Quote:You need to modify the handle a lot to make it passable for an ancient Greek blade.
Kind regards
How so?
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

this is 1821 s<mple
http://platon.teipir.gr/AgiaLavra/hotdo ... keimh1.htm

this is replica based on Dodona and National Museums samples
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/AH-4111-BN.jpg

hope it helps

Kind regards
Ah! Looks like a Falcata handle. That makes sense.
What about for a Thracian "Sica"? That looks alot more accurate for me.
Craig Bellofatto

The sword has one basic problem for being a greek kopis or machaira. It is not wider in the one third from the tip. Were all kopides and machairae wider towards the tip? I don't know,but this is what i have seen in all artistic representations and actual finds,with no exception.
Both in art and in an actual sword i have seen handles that are similar to the one the sword has now. Some modification would be needed still,but not necessarily something fancy. Perhaps the blade is more suitable for other historical swords,than the greek machaira.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Why would you recycle a piece of history into something else? Keep the blade as it is , as it has historical value of its own, and go for a copy of a falcatta! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Not really a piece of history. I have gathered that knives as such were sold as tourist pieces in the Philippines during WW2. I have a Moisin Nagant bayonet with Ares carved into the handle that I would never alter. I need the rifle to match it though. There was another broken knife that I purchased alongside it that was definitely a tourist piece. I gave it to a friend and has since been lost. It had "PHILIPPINES" carved into the scabbard in a pseudo Gothic text. Really weird. I don't want to alter it much as I am trying to go with what I have got if possible. If I have to completely rework it I will simply buy an acceptable reproduction. I use it already in a kit for Ren Faires as is because of the look of it. It has been complimented on being "authentic looking" but I jokingly ask of what period and explain what it is.
Craig Bellofatto

Hmmm, ok. I see now.
I have a Dyak parang from Borneo which also reminds me a bit of the falcattta, but I will just leave that as is LOL
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel