Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Female Gladiator"
Perhaps some jumping to conclusions here........

Link to BBC webiste:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/herefordand ... 780862.stm

Text for those who cannot follow the link:

Archaeologists in Herefordshire have uncovered the remains of what could possibly be a female gladiator.

Amongst the evidence of a Roman suburb in Credenhill, they have found the grave of a massive, muscular woman.

She was found in an elaborate wooden coffin, reinforced with iron straps and copper strips, which indicate her importance.

Her remains were found in a crouched position, in what could be a suburb of the nearby Roman town of Kenchester.

The archaeological Project Manager, Robin Jackson, said: "When we first looked at the leg and arm bones, the muscle attachments suggested it was quite a strapping big bloke, but the pelvis and head, and all the indicators of gender, say it's a woman."

"The coffin would have been made of wood - we haven't got any of the wood left, but we've got the nails around the outside then three huge giant straps that run all the way around the coffin, and also bronze strips on the corners which would have probably strengthened it, but probably decorated it.

"It's quite an elaborate and probably a very expensive coffin, and yet the person in it looked like they had a hard working life, and so there's an anomaly there."

An offering of beef and a fired pot were also found in the grave, and she was buried on top of a base of gravel.

Also unusual was the place where she was buried - in the suburb, instead of in a cemetery on the edge of the settlement, which was the law in Roman times.

Excavations

This archaeological find is as a result of excavations in advance of the construction of the Yazor Brook Flood Alleviation Scheme, which will protect homes and businesses in Hereford.

The road east from Kenchester was constructed by the Roman army in the mid 1st century AD, as they pushed westwards into Wales.

Very little was known previously about the suburb which grew up beside this road, however, preliminary results suggest that the main period of development for the suburb was the 2nd and 3rd centuries AD, and that it was much more extensive and densely occupied than had previously been thought.

Archaeological discoveries made in fields near Credenhill
Well preserved remains

Trial work, undertaken in 2009, showed that the area contains the well-preserved remains of Roman buildings, yards and rubbish pits situated to either side of a major Roman road, which ran east out of the town.

These form part of an important Roman suburb, which developed alongside the road, but now lies buried, along with the rest of the town, beneath fields and a footpath.

A team of archaeologists from Worcestershire Historic Environment and Archaeology Service, working in close co-operation with Amey Consulting and Herefordshire Council's archaeology team, are carefully excavating a 10-metre wide corridor, to allow the flood culvert to be built across this area.

A huge amount of information has already been gleaned, and this is beginning to allow the archaeologists to gain an understanding of this part of the town.

It is hoped that by the time the excavation is completed, at the end of July 2010, the archaeological team will have built up a detailed understanding of the development and nature of this Roman suburb.
a.k.a. Simon Frame
I don't think I've heard about this one yet. Interesting stuff. Here is a fairly recent thread about female gladiators. Some of the links in it go to excellent articles, a few of which have been written by members here.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I have posted my doubts about this already at the UNRV forum but I want to share them with you as well:

Quote:"It's quite an elaborate and probably a very expensive coffin, and yet the person in it looked like they had a hard working life, and so there's an anomaly there."

Except for those bronze strips they don't have any indication of how much decorated the coffin was, there's no wood left, so they don't even know of what kind of wood it is. Just because this woman seemed to have led the life of a hard worker, it's too thin to think she was a gladiatrix. There were many other "jobs" as well, esp. among the low classes and slaves, which consisted of hard labor for men and women alike. But it's the same thing as with this York excavation, the word "gladiator" just sells better. In this case there is even less evedince pointing towards the arena than at the found of the female grave in London some years ago, where at least some grave objects pointed towards the arena.
Seems to be I was right with my objections regarding this excavation at Herefordshire:

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/82524 ... naccurate/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From today\'s Times "Gladiators return to Colosseum&quot Caballo 0 1,342 12-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Last Post: Caballo