Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New hellenistic helmet reconstruction...
Khairete!

Just found this:

http://www.thorkil.pl/hellenistic_helmet_eng.htm

What do you think?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Bloody hell! Thats nice.
No link to price or anything?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Bloody hell! Thats nice.
No link to price or anything?

Nope. I would love to have the so-called Philip II helmet from Vergina which Manning Imperial is offering but the price kills me :? ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
very nice indeed !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Looks good to me! Putting the photo of the original below his repro does inspire confidence. I think I'd be thrilled with just about ANYthing from Thorkil! Not that I could aford any of it. Check out his Valsgarde helmets, you'll never go back to Greece again...

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
The helmet looks very nice, but that one is the helmet from Berlin, not the one from the Louvre. I think you can ask him for price if interested. I have a thracian helmet based on both models, you can see it here link from old RAT
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Impressive.

It looks like a more refined version of this Attico-Thracian type : http://img147.imageshack.us/i/atticothrachelmpo1.jpg/

Notice it has a tube next to the crest. Could its purpose be to insert a mount for horse hair like a Roman helmet ?

~Theo
Jaime
Thorkils work is, in my opinion some of the best currently going in the world, I'm priviledged enough to own his first ever fully plated Valsgarde 8 reproduction that I got over 3 years ago before he was well known in western Europe, I got it stupidly cheap. Now his prices reflect his workmanship and his waiting list is 2 years +
Stuart
Quote:Notice it has a tube next to the crest. Could its purpose be to insert a mount for horse hair like a Roman helmet ?

It also could be a system to attach the crest, I have seen some crets attached this way in reenactors, I'll try to look for a picture of it

It is here Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

Thank you, Nearco.

In the picture the tube is used to attach a sculpted decorative piece ?
Very interesting. I thought sculpted figures were always embossed into the helmet.
But I'm not nearly as familiar with non-Roman helmets. Smile

~Theo
Jaime
Looks very Japanese to me, attaching sculptures to your helmet.. any epigraphic evidence for this?

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Several vases showig dogs,foxes or other animals whose tale is the crest box of the helmet,exactly like the one posted by Nearco(you can see the horse hair in the background). Embossed decoration is relatively rare especially in archaic and classical times. Usually they were painted(since they appear of different color in vases) or scratched (don't remember the proper term in english). Or both!
Embossing was more frequent on the moving cheek pieces of some chalkidean helmets,but more frequent in hellenistic and roman times.
The bowl of some helmets found in Bulgaria have elaborate embossed decoration,but they probably belonged to Thracian chieftains and date to 4th century and later.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
A crest like this one can be seen in the Andodices vase, the right side warrior.

Other helmets have these tubes vertically placed, it seems to be clear that in these helmets the tubes were used as feather or horse hair holders. The horizontally placed tubes is what makes me think they could have other purpose, like helping the attachment of the crest piece, but I can't tell for sure.
Javier Sanchez

Virilis these types of helmets are my favorite! Big Grin
Will it be wrong if we categorize them Attic stile helmerts?
Underground treasures hunters in Bulgaria which find some of this kind many years ago depict them as Fireman helmets and didn’t think they cost much!
They looking so ancient warrior’s stile and at the same time so cool and modern with this eyeshade visor!
Will someone show here how actually looks like Deepeeca’s Alexander’s helmet but “in action” worn by someone?
Thanks
Lucius Campanius Verecundus Signifer Legio quarta Scythica
A.K.A. Yordan Kolchev
I tried using the link at the top of the post for Thorkil, but I get redirected somewhere else. Is there another web address for it?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron Hellenistic Thracian Helmet Creon01 18 6,840 11-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Where can I find reconstruction Hellenistic thracian helm Celtic505 32 13,414 06-10-2011, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Nearco