Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Shield Painting
I would like nany ideas that would be period for the paintings other than store bought, not too many Greek vases in Punta Gorda, Fl.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Fist settle on time period.
Then choose clan or city state.
Once you resolve that, the rest are details.
Kind regards
Thanx for the tips. I shall keep in touch with my findings.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

I am a fan of Odysseyus. I am looking for any info on what the arms and armor were for the men of Ithaca around the time of Odysseyus.
Craig Bellofatto

Then you are probably looking at the period before the classical hoplite.
That is from 1200 to 900 B.C. Not much is known about emblems of the period except the two lions of Mycenae.

Clasical Ithaca 800 to 400 B.C was just a province of Cephalonia. The coins of the area show a mostly a ram's head.

Kind regards
That works accodingly the first time I sparred with my shield I ended the match with a succesful shield bash aimed at the head of my friend. NO CONTACT!!! I have read the Illiad and the Odyssey a few times and there was no mention of shield decoration besides the one made by Hephastus for Achilles. I do not even know where to begin. Thank You.
Craig Bellofatto

Archeological Museum of Herakleion Crete. (Not exibited anymore)
Shiled with central shield-boss in lion form. Dated 1150 B.C
Thank you again! This is a decent starting point. I will use at least some of the designs in my work.
Craig Bellofatto

As a descendant of Ithacans who came to Australia. Odysseus has a special place for me also. You won't find a contemporary reference at all - his shield design is said to be a dolphin but it it is not found in the Homerica but a much later work in the cryptic poem, the Alexandra. It was written by Lycophron of Chalcis who was a Greek poet and scholar of the Library of Alexandria and flourished in the 3rd C BC. His work tells the stories of the heroes of the Trojan War in the riddling, prophetic words of the Trojan princess Cassandra: See [url:1nkd0wyw]http://www.theoi.com/Text/LycophronAlexandra2.html[/url]

[648] Others shall wander beside Syrtis and the Libyan plains and the narrow meet of the Tyrrhenian Strait and the watching-place fatal to mariners of the hybrid monster that formerly died by the hand of Mecisteus, the hide-clad Spademan, the Cattle-driver, and the rocks of he harpy-limbed nightingales. There, devoured raw, Hades, mine host, shall seize them all, torn with all manner of evil entreatment; and he shall leave but one to tell of his slaughtered friends, even the man of the dolphin device,

Also in Plutarch's Moralia Vol. XII Whether Land or Sea Animals are Cleverer he says:
"That the shield of Odysseus had a dolphin emblazoned on it, Stesichorus has related; and the Zacynthians perpetuate the reason for it, as Critheus testifies. For when Telemachus was a small boy, so they say, he fell into the deep inshore water and was saved by dolphins who came to his aid and swam with him to the beach; and that was the reason why his father had a dolphin engraved on his ring and emblazoned on his shield, making this requital to the animal."
Peter Raftos
Granted it's kind of a cheat but do a goggle on Little Big Man Shield Decals and then you can see some different designs in color. If you go to the Modeling section here you can check out the one's I used on my Phalanx. These are all pre-city-state standard but they show the range you could choose from. Hard to say if you could pin them down to an exact historical point from X reference but I'm sure they all would fit the 'might have been'. After all we know Phosiden was represented by horses and there are examples of Greek style horses on some of the designs ...... hence the 'might have been's'.
Ira Gossett
Welcome!

Thank you for the information on the dolphin connection. I am from Florida so that will fit nicely into a shield around here.
Especially at local Greek festivals!!!
Also, the dolphin is very intelligent so is in spirit with wily Odysseus.
Craig Bellofatto

LOL
Peter Raftos