Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Common errors about Antiquity
Quote:My books on Alexander and daily life in ancient Rome will this summer be published in Turkish, and I hope to find an English publisher soon;

Looking forward to that.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I do not often browse these boards, but this topic is intriguing. I spotted numerous fallacies I too thought were truth; I look forward to seeing them debunked.

Good luck on your monumental project!

M.
-Michael Eversberg II
Quote:Good luck on your monumental project!
We'll do our best.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Here's a rather simple one: the idea that the Romans used chariots, so popularized by films. :roll:
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
Caesar did not want to be king? This is news to me, perhaps I could be explained the significance of the golden throne that he built for himself then.
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
The question of Caesar's motivations could form not just its own thread but an entire Topic Section all to itself.

If I might suggest...

Take a look at The Assassination of Julius Caesar A People's History Of Ancient Rome by Michael Parenit. c2003 ISBN: 1-56584-942-6

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Caesar.html

http://www.amazon.com/Assassination-Jul ... 1565847970

http://media.portland.indymedia.org/med ... 279877.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... IO_Ldn2H4o

Neil Faulkner in his book, Rome Empire of the Eagles, found Parenti's book to be "... an excellent read and a refreshingly acerbic indictment of the Late Republican ruling class, but the analysis of Caesar and what he represented is naive." (p329)

I could not disagree more. I think Parenti's assessment of Caesar is right on the money. Now perhaps this is my own bias because it reflects what I want to believe of Caesar, even so I think Parenti makes excellent points not only about the major actors of the Late Republic, and latter day historians, but about Julius Caesar as well.

Some believe that Caesar was a populares plain and cynical, but from my reading I hold that Caesar truly believed in the popular cause and was indeed a champion of the people, the so called "mob."

Other members of our Forum may not hold with this view, in fact I dare say the last two links above, to a radio show and a video of lectures by Parenti, are likely to upset some people. My intention is not to upset, but I do like to keep the conversation lively. :oops:

As I say this is a subject perhaps best moved off to its own Thread. I leave that decision to our Moderators. :|

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
As a total amateur, I am certain Cæsar thought he was Jupiter incarnate.

M.
-Michael Eversberg II
Well, he said it was just a chair.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
"What would the name "King" buy me that I don't already have ?" - Richard Harris in his final role as L. Cornelius Sulla. Indeed, what besides a great deal of trouble ?

Quote:Here's a rather simple one: the idea that the Romans used chariots, so popularized by films.
Well, not in warfare at least. :|

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Great Idea!

T[color=#800000]hat there were only 300 Spartans at Thermopylae (I guess technically the Helots were not Spartans :? )
Narukami

I think that there were a couple of thousand Thespians as well. I believe they put on a good show.
R. Cornelius hadrianus, Guvnor of Homunculum, the 15mm scale Colonia. Proof that size does not matter.

R. Neil Harrison
:lol:
And they did right well, considering their broken legs, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Caesar did not want to be king? This is news to me, perhaps I could be explained the significance of the golden throne that he built for himself then.
The "throne," if I understand correctly, wasn't much more than an elaborately decorated curule chair, part of the symbol of his office - not much more. The concept of the "throne" probably comes from this type of chair, but majorly evolved and used as a symbol of power for the later European nobility/monarchies. I would not invest much, if anything on Caesar wanting to be king just because he had a nice, new chair made for himself. Yeah, sure, it signified his power, but it didn't carry the kingly connotation then that it does today.
[Image: RAT_signature2.png]
During the time that the two consuls sat in the Senate, they both sat on curule chairs, iirc. Caesar just had one of them removed when he became dictator. That probably wasn't unique, as there had been other dictators in time of need before.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:During the time that the two consuls sat in the Senate, they both sat on curule chairs, iirc. Caesar just had one of them removed when he became dictator. That probably wasn't unique, as there had been other dictators in time of need before.
Yes, but notice that Caesar received the Senate, seated on the platform of the Temple of Venus Genetrix on the Forum of Caesar, and refused to stand up when his guests came in. If Caesar did not realize that this would be interpreted as royal behavior, he was a fool; I think it was a calculated act. Had the conscript fathers accepted it, he might have set further steps.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Some of this stuff is really debatable, not all of it can be called false for sure.
Nomen:Jared AKA "Nihon" AKA "Nihonius" AKA "Hey You"

Now with Anti-Varus protection! If your legion is lost for any reason, we will give it back! Guaranteed!

Carpe Dium

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient geographical errors about india AMELIANVS 0 904 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS
  Errors in translations Jona Lendering 4 1,634 07-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus