Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starting reenacting
Quote:Start with tunic, shoes and belt. With those you're already a slodier. A legionairy would never go out without his cingulum, so it's pretty important to have one!

Good luck on getting your kit together!

This is some of the best, IMO, advice you can get. I started out making the sandals (caligae) to get some basic leather working skills, then I went on to the belt. That will give you basic metal working skills (if you make a few of your own fittings), as well as learning how to rivet. Very important stuff. Once you're done the sandals and belt, and you sew a tunic, as Jurjen said you now have an impression of an "off-duty" legionary. Of course, you'll have to decide on your tunic colour :lol:

Also, read this over, and over, and over: [url:1xvxz7ot]http://www.larp.com/legioxx/hndbk.html[/url] Then when you're done, read it again. That has all of the information you need...what ever questions you still may have just post'em here.

Legio XXII in Cincinnati....I'm pretty sure they're still doing Roman, however things being as they are at AD 43 in Lafe, Arkansas they're usually forced to to do Celtic impressions to provide a viable enemy force for the Romans. Remember last year at Fort Meigs Lee? I'm pretty sure one of Deks's guys said they had wanted to come down and be Romans but couldn't for some reason.

Send Deks an email Dan at the XXII Primigenia...he's a fantastic guy and if he's not doing Roman after all, can help you get started or even meet up with you and help. Who knows...

Legion: TBD
Quote:
jvrjenivs:8wkwikqo Wrote:Start with tunic, shoes and belt. With those you're already a slodier. A legionairy would never go out without his cingulum, so it's pretty important to have one!

Good luck on getting your kit together!

This is some of the best, IMO, advice you can get. I started out making the sandals (caligae) to get some basic leather working skills, then I went on to the belt. That will give you basic metal working skills (if you make a few of your own fittings), as well as learning how to rivet. Very important stuff. Once you're done the sandals and belt, and you sew a tunic, as Jurjen said you now have an impression of an "off-duty" legionary. Of course, you'll have to decide on your tunic colour :lol:

Also, read this over, and over, and over: [url:8wkwikqo]http://www.larp.com/legioxx/hndbk.html[/url] Then when you're done, read it again. That has all of the information you need...what ever questions you still may have just post'em here.

Legio XXII in Cincinnati....I'm pretty sure they're still doing Roman, however things being as they are at AD 43 in Lafe, Arkansas they're usually forced to to do Celtic impressions to provide a viable enemy force for the Romans. Remember last year at Fort Meigs Lee? I'm pretty sure one of Deks's guys said they had wanted to come down and be Romans but couldn't for some reason.

Send Deks an email Dan at the XXII Primigenia...he's a fantastic guy and if he's not doing Roman after all, can help you get started or even meet up with you and help. Who knows...

Thanks for your assistance matt ^_^
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
No problem! And hey, we all started out where you are...well some of us anyway. Starting your own group isn't as hard as you think, but it's probably good to have most of your gear done, or at least a basic impression.

Quote:No problem! And hey, we all started out where you are...well some of us anyway. Starting your own group isn't as hard as you think, but it's probably good to have most of your gear done, or at least a basic impression.
So im going to be making my caligea and i was wandering how much leather and what kind should i get b.c i think The store "Micheals" or "Hobby land" my have it... i am not sure
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
You'll have better luck at a Tandy's/Leather Factory store, if there's one of those nearby. You have some background to do before you cut any leather, though. Pattern first.

The thickness of the leather you buy depends on who you ask. Safe to say, though, that nothing under about 6-7oz makes sense. Some go much thicker for the uppers. Get a shoulder, not a belly. Belly stretches too much. You can stack layers for the soles. How many you stack of course, depends on how thick it is. Aim for something like at least 3/8". That might be three layers, but it won't hurt to have more leather under your feet if you're hobnailing.

I always make a trial out of felt, just cheap craft felt, to make sure I have the sizing right. For that, I use a piece of a cardboard box for a sole. You have to be careful with the flimsy model, but it will save you some money if you get it wrong the first time. A yard of 45" wide felt will cost you three or four dollars. 8)

So I'm a cheapskate. That's how it is around here. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:You'll have better luck at a Tandy's/Leather Factory store, if there's one of those nearby. You have some background to do before you cut any leather, though. Pattern first.

The thickness of the leather you buy depends on who you ask. Safe to say, though, that nothing under about 6-7oz makes sense. Some go much thicker for the uppers. Get a shoulder, not a belly. Belly stretches too much. You can stack layers for the soles. How many you stack of course, depends on how thick it is. Aim for something like at least 3/8". That might be three layers, but it won't hurt to have more leather under your feet if you're hobnailing.

I always make a trial out of felt, just cheap craft felt, to make sure I have the sizing right. For that, I use a piece of a cardboard box for a sole. You have to be careful with the flimsy model, but it will save you some money if you get it wrong the first time. A yard of 45" wide felt will cost you three or four dollars. 8)

So I'm a cheapskate. That's how it is around here. :wink:

so basically all you do is use card board for the sole and what does the felt do?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
If I'm correct, Dave uses the felt to create the pattern that wraps around your foot. This is actually a really good idea...I ALWAYS screw my caligae up, by leaving too much room around the ankle. If you read the websites listed on the previous page, you should be able to acquire enough info to get a good pair the first time.

Quote:If I'm correct, Dave uses the felt to create the pattern that wraps around your foot. This is actually a really good idea...I ALWAYS screw my caligae up, by leaving too much room around the ankle. If you read the websites listed on the previous page, you should be able to acquire enough info to get a good pair the first time.
ahhh ok is it realy hard to make?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
The first pair is hard. The second is easier.

Yes, I use felt as a mock-up for the leather, and mess around with it until I get the sizing right, then flatten the felt back out and use it for a new paper pattern to transfer to the leather. The cardboard acts like a slightly stiff sole, to give the right shape to the shoe. Be sure to sew it near the edge, though, or you'll cut your uppers too loose. You do have to be a little careful not to stretch the felt, as it's not very dimensionally stable...being felted and not woven, naturally.

There are lots of posts by Lee Holeva and Martin Moser on RAT that detail the specifics of how it's done. No need to try to add to their excellent descriptions here...I'm still learning anyhow. I've gotten over the fear of slicing into a piece of leather, however, which is a big step.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The first pair is hard. The second is easier.

Yes, I use felt as a mock-up for the leather, and mess around with it until I get the sizing right, then flatten the felt back out and use it for a new paper pattern to transfer to the leather. The cardboard acts like a slightly stiff sole, to give the right shape to the shoe. Be sure to sew it near the edge, though, or you'll cut your uppers too loose. You do have to be a little careful not to stretch the felt, as it's not very dimensionally stable...being felted and not woven, naturally.

There are lots of posts by Lee Holeva and Martin Moser on RAT that detail the specifics of how it's done. No need to try to add to their excellent descriptions here...I'm still learning anyhow. I've gotten over the fear of slicing into a piece of leather, however, which is a big step.
do you think you can make a video tutorial ?
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
I'm no shoe expert. There are others more qualified to do that task.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I'm no shoe expert. There are others more qualified to do that task.
oh ok well do you mind asking them if they can make a video tutorial for it and put it on youtube
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Quote:do you mind asking them if they can make a video tutorial for it and put it on youtube
Sure.
Hey, shoe experts, this is actually a really good idea, though it might be better to break up some things that are hard for boneheads like me to figure out. Tunnel stitching, for example, could be taught with a twenty second demo, and it would make more sense than a five hundred word description. How to make the tracing of the foot. Part 1. How to make the duct tape/plastic bag pattern for the flat pattern. Part 2. Etc.

Could you help us? Martin? Lee? Others??
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:do you mind asking them if they can make a video tutorial for it and put it on youtube
Sure.
Hey, shoe experts, this is actually a really good idea, though it might be better to break up some things that are hard for boneheads like me to figure out. Tunnel stitching, for example, could be taught with a twenty second demo, and it would make more sense than a five hundred word description. How to make the tracing of the foot. Part 1. How to make the duct tape/plastic bag pattern for the flat pattern. Part 2. Etc.

Could you help us? Martin? Lee? Others??
well to save time making the video they can speed up the video time when they are working on it and slow it down for the detailed parts....
Dan DeLuca

ROMA VICTOR!

S.P.Q.R
Hi guys, I need some advive again. Just found a Type Pompeji Gladius and would like to know it it's any good for reenactment. It's interesting to me since it comes with a baldric attached.
Lunico/ Megan H.