Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Patrick & Slavery
I am looking for a reference to St Patrick commenting on the British or Irish selling their women into slavery. I can find reference to female slaves but not the selling of ones own kin.

Any references to Celts/Gauls doing this also would be useful.

Also any reference to women being hived of as hostages to ensure political allegence.

Thanks to anyone who can help?

Cheers

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
One fair book on the general topic is How the Irish Saved Civilization. There are a number of comments on the cultural habits of the Irish of that day. If you don't already know, it's more or less a story of Patricius, and how his scribes and monks copied many of the ancient manuscripts that existed on the Continent in his day, and preserved them through the turmoil of the sacking and burning of many European cities by "barbarian" invaders. Many of the written copies of ancient works exist because of his efforts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, I enjoyed that book too.

Conal, have you tried the Letter to Coroticus? Here's an exerpt:

Quote:I do not know why I should say or speak further about the departed ones of the sons of God, whom the sword has touched all too harshly. For Scripture says: "Weep with them that weep;" and again: "If one member be grieved, let all members grieve with it." Hence the Church mourns and laments her sons and daughters whom the sword has not yet slain, but who were removed and carried off to faraway lands, where sin abounds openly, grossly, impudently. There people who were freeborn have, been sold, Christians made slaves, and that, too, in the service of the abominable, wicked, and apostate Picts!

http://www.yale.edu/glc/archive/1166.htm
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Yes, I enjoyed that book too.

Conal, have you tried the Letter to Coroticus? Here's an exerpt:

Quote:I do not know why I should say or speak further about the departed ones of the sons of God, whom the sword has touched all too harshly. For Scripture says: "Weep with them that weep;" and again: "If one member be grieved, let all members grieve with it." Hence the Church mourns and laments her sons and daughters whom the sword has not yet slain, but who were removed and carried off to faraway lands, where sin abounds openly, grossly, impudently. There people who were freeborn have, been sold, Christians made slaves, and that, too, in the service of the abominable, wicked, and apostate Picts!

http://www.yale.edu/glc/archive/1166.htm

yes ... all that I can find involves "taking slaves" as in raiding others but nothing saying that they sold their own women into slavery. I have seen something which stated that St P admonished those who did just that.

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
In ancient breton laws (a corpus roughly dated between Vth and IXth centuries), ancilla (female slave) and servus (male slave) are given as compensations, and there is a lot of laws about them.

If you are interested and can read a bit of french, here a synthesis article I wrote about them:
http://schnucks0.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=388
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
I am researching the chances of raiders to Southern Ireland around 50 AD. There are a number of ancient settlements on the East coast around Dublin. Does anyone have any knowledge of raiders taking prisoners for the Roman slave markets in Brittania?
I am looking for a reference to St Patrick commenting on the British or Irish selling their women into slavery. I can find reference to female slaves but not the selling of ones own kin.

Any references to Celts/Gauls doing this also would be useful.

Also any reference to women being hived of as hostages to ensure political allegence.

Thanks to anyone who can help?

Cheers

Conal