Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various Aux Q\'s
On the boss, you could put whatever you like, within "ancient engraving subjects" or nothing at all. On a flat shield, in particular, it's important the the width of the boss be sufficient for the fingers wrapped around the grip to fit in. Some bosses are quite too small for my hand.

You might engrave a century of legionaries facing down a horde of barbarians, who are beginning to break ranks, and are being ridden down by auxilia cavalrymen. I probably shouldn't make smarty pants remarks like that, because a craftsman like yourself will probably do it just to show you can. Heh. Some had small engraved figures, some had geometrics, most of the (admittedly few) pictures I've seen of decorated bosses were done with simple designs pinged in with a sharp punch.

What metal are you using for the boss? Are you making it yourself, or buying an already made one?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
haha,I'm glad you were joking! Um, brass, and yeah, I'll (attempt to) make it my self. Thanks,
Travis
The RMRS is a great source of images to use! Can't go too wrong wit hthat shape!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:For the period you require we have virtually no iron bosses extant, copper alloy are far more prevalent.

Hm I thought it was the other way around. I belief I have more pictures of iron bosses then the ones from copper alloy... The Kessel shield boss for example, what is that made of?
And in what period did iron bosses become more used then? Earlier or later?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC