Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clubs
How extensivly were clubs used as weapons by the germans and gauls against the Romans or by auxiliary troops and mercenaries? I've been interested in recreating a few examples for reenactments/display. Does anyone know of any depictions of clubs from the roman era?
Eric
Bare-chested warriors, presumably German, and sometimes idnetified as Aestii tribesmen are depicted on Trajan's column wielding a single-handed club and carrying oval shields.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Here is my first attempt
It does not seem like the club has evolved much through history, but if anyone has any advice to make it more distinctly germanic, i;d be grateful.

I used forged iron nails for the studs

[url:28bohyoc]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251/jagerimregen37/smallclub.jpg[/url]
Eric
Looks like it would raise a lump on somebody's head, all right. I have a piece of wood I'm making into one, too. It has the root knob on the end of it. I'm planning to smooth it down and put a hand grip on the other end. Maybe a wrist thong, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Germanic Clubs Harjaz 8 5,492 03-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Last Post: Ross H Cowan