Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
True enough Taira-san.

Of course, Hollywood can always fall back on Nazi Zombies -- hard to go wrong there. Brain hungry mobs in snappy uniforms, a sure recipe for box office success.

Confusedhock: :roll: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
3D ... Bah!

:evil:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Just saw Captain America last night! 8)

After the disappointment both Green Lantern and Thor were - it has quite restored my faith in the superhero genre. :grin:

Interestingly I noticed how superbly clever they were in integrating actual footage of buildings and CGI in some scenes. The scenes where Steve Rogers chases the Nazi spy across New York to the docks area were actually filmed in Liverpool (England). The huge warehouse seen and that general area is called Stanley Dock and is in the city's North Docks. The 1902 Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse is the largest brick building in the world. Cleverly they manage to insert the Brooklyn Bridge (and distant Statue of Liberty) into the footage. Later you also see footage that looks to me like it is inside some of these Liverpolitan warehouses and also a shot of another mid 20thC concrete (Sugar) warehouse which is also in the same city. I am very familiar with the industrial architecture of that city and that particular area.

Great stuff - on many counts!
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Liverpolitan warehouses

Liverpudlian Wink
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Made a mistake of watching The Eagle with the Director's commentary on.

Switched it off when he started talking about the authenticity of the kit...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hi all
Awaited in anticipation of "Eagle" for a long time.
I should not have waited so long...It was built up to be something it wasn't...as good as the film was it was not what was expected from an audience with historical knowledge...it was a good film...not enough mass fighting in my opinion but i like fight sequences..IT IS A FILM..DRAMA...not a reproduction of an event.
I have never read the book.
An ideal film for a rainy Sunday afternoon
I've seen worse
Kev
Kevin
I didn't bother to watch Eagle...probably won't. See my signature as to why.

Legion: TBD
Quote:
Ghostmojo post=293359 Wrote:Liverpolitan warehouses

Liverpudlian Wink
Or Liverpolitan which as a term of reference was in existence before the more colloquial better-known equivalent appeared (in fact, the city once had a periodical under that name). It kind of depends whether you think that city is a pool or just a puddle.

Historians of Rome will note that such was the economic power and prestige of that city at the turn of the 20thC (hard to imagine today) that the initials SPQL could be found inscribed into wrought ironwork in St. George's Hall (and elsewhere) ... Senatus Populusque Liverpolitanus :grin: :lol:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Saw Captain America. Of all the "Avenger" comic book movies i'd say it's the worst. It was so-so...thought Red Skull's tech level was way too high. And it was a bit cheesy.

I've been on a documentary kick lately..."Crude Awakening", "Battle of the X planes", some dinosaur ones...I love Netflix.

Legion: TBD
Finally saw "Eagle". Not that bad appart from the rubbish lorica segmentata, the huge horses and the over used "testudo-tactics". It was quite refreshing that there was no love interest or the usual "warrior chick", who looks like a super model.
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:It was quite refreshing that there was no love interest or the usual "warrior chick", who looks like a super model.

Sad
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Rango

Liked it very much. There was even a little Kinski-hommage (like he was in "For a Few Dollars More").
--- Marcus F. ---
A Separation. An Iranian movie about divorce, but essentially a movie about ordinary middle class people who are trying to make the best of it. Except for the daughter, who really is the victim, all characters are flawed, yet they remain sympathetic. Just as in normal life.

An absolutely supreme movie. Excellent acting, meaningful dialogs, a strong script, well-directed, and with a message that transcends cultural differences. In short: a masterpiece.

Four Golden Bears, and awards in thirteen other film festivals. I would be surprised if it wouldn't win the Oscar for the best foreign language movie 2011, and as far as I am concerned, it deserves a Nobel Prize too.

If you see only one movie this year, make sure it's A Separation.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks Jona - I'll look out for that.

Just wondering what fans of the English Civil War will make of a dvd I've just watched - The Devil's Whore. I know it made a bit of a splash when it was on British Channel 4 TV (in 2009 I think; can't be sure , don;t have a TV!!).

Certain historical facts not right at all (Cromwell blamed for Rainsborough's assassination?) and it was filmed in South Africa to ensure the beauties of the English countrside no doubt!! Confusedhock:

Some good, convincing character acting though. John Simm as Sexby, and our friends from Centurion Michael Fassbender (Rainsborough)and Dominic West (was Virilis and Cromwell in this). And whoever it was who played Charles I was excellent but the credits run SO fast it is impossible to tell...off to imdb to check!

Sadly the main character - of the title - was irritating, a frequent bed-hopper despite claiming her innocence of her psuedonym and really just a vehicle to move from one male character to another.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Just watched Centurion and thought it was pretty good. It was never in a theater within driving distance for me, but now I kinda wish it was. The plot, acting and cinematography were solid. With a $12 million budget they made a movie I thought was much better than King Arthur, which had a $90 million budget. It's definitely worth watching.