Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
19-22 March, 2009 AD43 CANCELLED
Well sorta'
The event will be in honor of the Varus Slaughter in AD9, instead.
AD 9 at the fort in Arkansas, with a march into the woods with the Roman Legions and their faithful German allies, to help Varus collect taxes and take a census. There will be a march to build a temporary camp, and a path will have to be cleared for the wagons and mules. Inviting anyone to try and do a little earlier impression, and celebrate the bravery of the Romans, Allies and their foes 2000 years ago. This will be a great way to prep for the 2000th anniversary event in Germany in June!

Watch this thread for more information.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Wow, Fabius, you had me going there for a bit!

Great idea-- Lafe could serve as Germania just as well as Britannia. Let's hope Jupiter Fulminata holds off a bit with the rain and thunder next year. Don't want it to get THAT realistic...

Legio VI will be there. We have a mind to perhaps portray some of those loyal Germanic auxiliaries...
T. Flavius Crispus / David S. Michaels
Centurio Pilus Prior,
Legio VI VPF
CA, USA

"Oderint dum probent."
Tiberius
That sounds awesome. I have seen pics of the events at Lafe. I really hope to be able to attend next year with one of the legions.
AKA Travis S.
What about groups with mid first - early 2nd century gear...will this be a problem Caius?

Legion: TBD
Quote:What about groups with mid first - early 2nd century gear...will this be a problem Caius?

Those folks with late Republc "mid first - early 2nd century" BC should fit in quite nicely. :lol:

We won't turn away people who don't have the exact gear, we may have some loaner items and armor from Dan Peterson's collection, and other folks may have some spare gear to share. On the other hand it is a great chance to work on a secondary impression, and you have more than 8 months to get your gear and needlefelt weapons together.

There will be a non-needlefelt group in garrison at the fort, but the majority of the simulation of the Varus march with be with needle felt weapon near at hand. The first day will have opportunities for non-needlefelt participants to be involved in the tasks, march, and such, but since we are inviting a bunch of German allies from other groups, every Roman soldier able to wield a blade in the ressurection battles will be appreciated. We are looking at having needlefelt weapons for sale and rent, and Germanic shields, and spears for rent for some of the people who will be joinng us from various groups.

As before, it is a total immersion event, (with or without the rain), and all attendees are expected to use period tents and clothing while in the exercise area. We are working on getting some special equipment for this event, which will add to the fun and realism.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
At least two of us from Brayden Cael: Iceni Tribe of Michigan will be back, the rain and mud from 2008 has not frightened us off. I will personally be arriving as a druid, though not necessarily appropriate for the area, it is plausible, us bards and seers like to travel. I look forward to witnessing a good old fashion Roman ambush and slaughter, if you guys put up too much of a fight I might just take off the robes and pick up the sword.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Oh man... 9AD in March, then the 2,000th anniversay in Germany...Egads I wish I had money and time and a passport to hit both of those Cry
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I get 4 weeks of vacation starting next year. Now it is just a matter of saving (ha! ha! with gas prices rising!!!) for both Lafe 9 AD and a trip to Germany for the REAL anniversary.
Question about the needlefelt fighting: What kind of training and authorization is needed? I fought SCA armored combat up until a few years ago, then allowed my authorization lapse.
I have the kit appropriate for 9 AD, so that part I've got down. Now, I just need to get there.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
For more basic information, to join the discussion, and to see last year's handbook on needlefelt, the site, the rules, etc. join the yahoogroup at:
[url:3noe33yc]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FtLafe43AD/[/url]

We have a moderated discussion about period helmets and armor, and needlefelt on-going there.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
sigh. i wish this event didn't conflict with MTA in jamestown Sad
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Well, at least you have a 2000th aniversary event to attend. Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
You know what Chuck skip MTA for once, and come to Lafe.
JesseB
(a.k.a Jesse Bailey)
6 days!!!
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Clash of Iron AD43 Castra Lafe March 2014 jkaler48 8 2,784 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM
Last Post: petrinus
  19-22 March, 2009 AD 9 Varus and the Germans M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER 5 2,032 05-10-2009, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Caius Fabius
  Castra Romana-Pompeii II Cancelled rusty myers 31 6,755 09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Last Post: rusty myers