Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT conference MAINZ 2008
Hi all,

I will attend the RAT conference and you can put me up for a lecture as well.

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
I'm trying to convince my group to attend too. I have one more question: what exactly does the 60 euros include? Are two dinners included? As most of us are poor students this is important to know.

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi Jef
To be honest, at this point in time it's hard to say exactly what it will include. I can just say we'll do our very best to make it include (a contribution to) the meeting room & accessories and two dinners (probably excluding drinks).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,

I got word from most people from my group and at the moment I have 8 persons who'd like to come and 2 'maybees'.

Is it already known who will give a lecture and what the subjects will be? About how many lectures will be given? And will Miks do one?

Thanks in advance,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I know now that I can make it, though I'm not sure when I will be arriving there on Friday night, might consider staying with a friend if possible. As soon I'm returning from a short vacation I could assist Jona and Christian in organizing and if required getting into contact with the Saalburg if we wanna go there.

I would like to hold a lecutre on "Gladiators as Soldiers".
Salve Jasper!

Two of us will be there ok. Just let me know about the financials. I can give a talk on Romans in Ireland if you like :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, we can tell you how to pour a proper pint (500 ml~) of Guinness (Guinessius?) Tongue
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
Hi Jasper
I'm pretty sure that I'll be there. Will things start on the Friday night or just Saturday and Sunday?
Cheers
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
At the moment I have 9-11 people of my group who'd like to come. But of course we have to get our lodgings sorted out first.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:At the moment I have 9-11 people of my group who'd like to come. But of course we have to get our lodgings sorted out first.
We prefer to have everyone in the same hotel, just across the street from the Museum of Roman ships. It is not outrageously expensive, has an excellent breakfast, and makes it a lot easier to organize things - not to mention the social aspect: it is nicer to have people at the same place and in the same bar and breakfast room.

Until now, only one person has paid the advance money. Jurjen, Jasper, and I will next Saturday discuss whether we should continue organizing it. People like Christian and Svenja, who will look for restaurants and a classroom (which has to be paid in advance), must know for how many people they must make reservations.

For the time being, the following persons have said they want to be there:
Ben Kane ("pretty sure")
Christian Koepfer ("with two students")
David Michaels ("probable")
Hans Van Lierde
Jasper Oorthuys
Jef Pinceel ("nine to eleven people")
Jeroen Pelgrom ("think I will be there")
Jona Lendering
Jurjen Draaisma
Marco Prins ("unless I have to work")
Martin McAree ("two of us")
Paul Geddes ("interested")
Robert Wimmers
Svenja G

26 - in the most optimistic scenario; but only one "hard" subscription.

PS: I know the above sounds sceptical, but I am very glad that so many people are interested. Mainz is great! And I look forward to discussing beer when there are Belgians, Irishmen, and Germans! :wink: Mainz has ten Brauhäuser. The five Roman museums are of course irrelevant.
[size=59:3dckbc0f]
[edit: spelling error][/size]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I am submitting my payment this evening! Let's all just transfer the money and get the show on the road. I would also like to be included in the romm reservation at the hotel.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Jona, you misspelled my name :wink:

Mmm I'll have to urge on some more people from my group to come, it would be nice if Legio XI contributed more than half of the participants, like last year. Smile

I don't know about the hotel yet. I believe someone in my groups was looking into that, he knows a thing or two about Mainz.

vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:it would be nice if Legio XI contributed more than half of the participants
Why is that, exactly?

Anyway, Jona, I paid my dues.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:
Quote:it would be nice if Legio XI contributed more than half of the participants
Why is that, exactly?

Anyway, Jona, I paid my dues.

No particular reason, just bred-in Roman imperialism and the urge for conquest :wink:

It would be nice if more European groups (Dutch, German,...) would attend in larger numbers. A lot of them have members on RAT...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
So far, only Svenja has offered to speak, on "Gladiators as soldiers". I know Robert Wimmers has a lot to tell about creating an archaeological park. I can tell something about cuneiform sources for the reign of Alexander, but most of you will know more or less what I have to say about it.

Anyhow, the main attraction of Mainz is six museums, plus nearby Wiesbaden. I think we must include at least one day (Sunday?) for those, and would suggest Wiesbaden as Friday-afternoon teaser (if Wiesbaden's still closed, Frankfurt and Manheim are possible).

Anyhow, is there someone else who wants to deliver a lecture? (Romans in Ireland would be nice, not necessarily in one of the Brauhäuser.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I´m not so sure yet. I´ll hold a lecture, however.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.