Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accuracy of HBO Series: Rome (would like opinions before buy
I was just curious if anyone has watched this and how accurate is it to actual history? Ive read reviews saying that they got the uniforms spot on? Im also curious about the historical accuracy of the storyline. I would like to know what Im getting into before I go and buy it. TIA and all the best, Jonathan
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Some of the characters in Rome actually existed in real life. The series is dead on and unaplogetic about that aspect...

But...

Ralph
Personally i feel that the entire series gives a general overview of the historical events.It has most of the big events in some shape or form eg the crossing of the rubicon,the ides of march and a flash of the battle at Pharsalus.A lot of the series is based around the lives of the main characters Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo,and their struggles from day to day.I feel that the series captures the bustling metropolis that was rome quite well with its slaves,forum and many behind the scenes dealings.The clothing involved was one of the more impressive aspects,too bad it spent more time on the floor than on its wearer Big Grin !Innacuracies!Im not sure about Vorenus's rise from the great unwashed masses to Caesars assistant could have happened in reality.

Overall i enjoyed it,though one can see it for what it is...adrama.
Just my brief thoughts on the issue,could be totally wrong for all i know!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
hope this helps.....
I used the search function at the top of the page and found dozens of threads about HBO's Rome. Some interesting ones included:link from old RAT
link from old RAT
link from old RAT
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Not historically accurate, but not bad.
Even though MUCH is dramatized i thoroughly enjoyed it, easily my favorite tv series, and i own both seasons on DVD, good buy.

The costumes were great and the military wear wasn't bad though the helmets were a bit off. Ciarin Hinds as Caesar was AWESOME though, and Purefoy as Marc Antony was a good match.

The few large battle scenes they showed were cool, dunno if the whistle thing is accurate though, I have never read anything on that, has anyone else?
AKA Travis S.
Quote:dunno if the whistle thing is accurate though
Isn't the use of the whistle a theory by some Italian historian? The romans certainly had whistles, so I would put that in the possibility category, though I am not sure of the evidence.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Lee wrote:

Quote:The romans certainly had whistles, .....though I am not sure of the evidence.

As far as I know that is all the evidence, Lee! :wink: I grew up with the theory that to provide orders in battle the trumpets blew and everyone looked at the standards which could be moved or dipped to provide simple commands. This sounds good providing the standards are in front so everyone can see them but then when you think about it perhaps whistles are not so daft after all! Perhaps there is a thread somewhere else were all of this has been discussed?

Anyway back to Rome, yes well worth getting it is an enjoyable romp but read a good general Roman history book before, during or after!
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I managed to get through about 5 episodes, and found it all extremely tedious and unlikely. Characters like Caesar and Antony didn't seem to bear any relation to what I thought was known about them, so I didn't trust any of the others, either. The 2 main characters are not only present at every major event of the end of the Republic, but seem to CAUSE them all as well! Bad costuming, lousy armor and weaponry. Sorry, but it just never grabbed me, and I really tried.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
It was a good drama, set in a period i love, about characters I like!
True, they may not have met my standards, but as far a s givug a feeling of what Rome may have been like, it was excellent!

Just don't make any statements on history based on it LOL

But I loved it, the characters were entertaining, and it could have had more battle scenes.....but on thewhole good entertainment.

Now if it was a documentary....... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think the key is, you were not supposed to go into viewing the series as a historical documentary, or realistic portrayal...............
AKA Travis S.
And unlike 90% of ancient films/TV shows out there, it tried to portray actual Romans not modern Westerners in togas. It overdid some things and did many others wrong, but that is worth something. I think that the first season was pretty good; the second less so (some of the scenes in Egypt were just ridiculous).
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
The sets were wonderfully done, especially the outdoor scenes down city streets and such. Inside houses were often seemingly accurate, based on things like Pompeii, but I really got a feel of the street life. Not all the costuming was bad. The common people on the street, maybe were pretty close.

If you have the money to spare, it's fun to see. I liked the first Augustus much more than the second.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:The sets were wonderfully done, especially the outdoor scenes down city streets and such. Inside houses were often seemingly accurate, based on things like Pompeii, but I really got a feel of the street life. Not all the costuming was bad. The common people on the street, maybe were pretty close.

If you have the money to spare, it's fun to see. I liked the first Augustus much more than the second.

I dont know, even though it may not be backed up with much literary evidence, i rather enjoyed the cold and cut throat Augustus of the second season.

And i agree with you the sets were great, especially the Aventine.
AKA Travis S.
Very fun to watch. Despite the inaccuracies, I'd say buy it.
Renius/Greg German
Legio VI FFC
Quote:Very fun to watch. Despite the inaccuracies, I'd say buy it.

I have to agree with Greg, i really enjoyed both seasons and have bought both.

Not totally authentic, but for me at least it has the feel of Rome.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome HBO series, last post look at these two pictures Woadwarrior 53 11,764 06-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Rome HBO series Woadwarrior 19 5,042 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus