Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grinding a Sword Blade How To?
Just another note on the forged discs, if anyone is interested, I have a safety alert I can e-mail with info on the type and similarities of the forged items in comparison to the originals...PM me if interested.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Tiberivs sharp Confusedhock: :? Hmm I must admit I dont like sharp swords in reanactment they are dangerous enough as they are,
Absolutely my point. But it's not meant for combat. Its just for authentic feeling. makes a difference IMO. and there's no hurry with the answer. university takes much of my time Sad

btw, is there a limit how long an angle grinder can approximately be used without pausing? I remember for my bench grinder a 10 minute limit, but somehow lost the manual for my angle grinder. Sad
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Every tool has a different limit, depends on many variables, set out in your HAVS regulations.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Aha Tiberious I will take a pick of a finished edge to show how fine you can get butter knife sharp but looks like a keen edge Big Grin lol: I have used grinders for a good few hours at a time with only a few minutes pauseBig Grin The yellow one in pic is a 1000w motor and cost aprox £20 and has been a good buy as the extra long handle keeps your hands away from the air vents so helps a free flow of air to keep the motor cool 8) I will try to find a site for thin discs I am trying too think which magazine I say them. AHA found some Big Grin
here
here
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thanks Big Grin

A question: how do you cut fullers in the swords? (I have a Viking sword with a fuller I want to make wider, and I'm preparing myself for making a seax or two.. Tongue ) Do you use the ordinary "narrow" discs, or are there "extra broad" discs?

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
Manuel there is no special disc I use, but I do keep discs that are worn down, dont use a new disc as the sharp edge to it can jump on the narrow section you are grinding. Start by drawing the two lines down the blade to the width you want to do it. Gently grind the metal up to the line, sacred rule do not go beyond the line or on to it this is your fail safe Big Grin  

Hope you can make out the fullers on these, idealy it is better to do the fuller first before the edge. Then you can use a half round file with the handle bent up slightly or a stone that has been rounded to smooth the fuller down and to take any high spots away. I have also used a grinding wheel on a drill but sometimes it can bounce a bit. Otherwise if you take your time, you will get there. Big Grin  

Again it is hard to explain so first practice on a scrap piece to get the hang of it Big Grin  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Man I love that top blade!!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I will get stuck into the blade tommorow and hope via pics to answer some :?: I may have to just grind a piece of metal to show the apex profile other than that keep :?: coming Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Been grinding hard today and it is ready for first stage surface finish then gradual polish Big Grin  

This is the first side I have ground, the trick is not to grind to the edge and nowere near the centre. As this is a leaf profile I started at the top the first grind I did and with a rocking action curved the blade from edge to centre all the way down.

Sorry for the pic but the two black lines show were I stopped and there is about 2mm from the edge untouched. when you come to the point you will have to cross over the line then once you have done this redraw the line. Then do the other side Big Grin  

The next step is you can grind to the edge and closer to the centre, take your time as you will just need to gently remove metal. When you grind to the edge just glance the disc over it, you are trying to flatten the metal down for surface finnish. So you end up with the blade like this Big Grin   Then do all 4 sides.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Since I am useing spring steel a file will be no good so I will use a belt sander.

As you can see mistakes can happen and I have just went over the line but it is not deep so will not effect the blade.

This is the first passes of the belt sander and you can see the high spots with the grind marks as the low spots. The edge is about 1.5mm thick still so you have plenty to play with when smoothing the blade down. Again dont go over the centre line yet, but you can go along the edge keep the sander moveing and work up from the edge to the centre then keep doing this until you remove the high spots. Now dont worry if they are still some marks left on the blade they will be shallow and will work in when you do the next stage.

This is what you will end up with and you can see there is still one or too little spots left. The other thing is if you use a belt sander make sure the blade is clamped down securely as it will throw a blade out at some speed if it came loose. Ive seen a peice come out of a surface grinder in the machine shop a wall stopped the flat bar going any further that was after 30 feet flying though the air.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Now I didnt have time to do the apex profile so I will do it later and useing files ect the smooth down. It is the same process as the leaf but you are just flattening the metal down from the edge to the centre.

This is what you end up with Big Grin  

As you can see the are very few marks left, Ow I fought to mention once you have sanded down both sides of the blade you can then move onto the centre line and work it into the blade Big Grin D  
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Another masterclass Brennivs - thanks Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Tony, you are my idol, great work Confusedhock: !!!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
It's pretty!! (No, not Jeff Dunhams Bleuw Prius :lol: http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid= ... jgLMp_joDw )

No, seriously man, nice work! Confusedhock: 8)

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
Gee thanks every one Big Grin D lol: :lol: There is still more to come Big Grin Overall it does not take that much time to do a avarage blade if you keep it simple you can then expand into more difficult blade types.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Iron Sword Grinding Bryan 1 986 04-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Last Post: XorX
  Grinding wheat with stone handmill? pavka 9 3,282 09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Last Post: pavka
  sword blade started/FINISHED brennivs - tony drake 108 25,790 04-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake