Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making an Aspis - Ring Method (Visual Aids)
My needs for sanding the inside of the shield change somewhat so I attack it in a different way. First I lay down a board and roll a towel up and place it under the shield like a donut to pad it from getting scratched too much on the face and to allow me to pitch the end I am working up some. I place a weight on one extreme side of the shield to drop the side opposite the work area.

[Image: 018a.jpg]

[Image: 017a-1.jpg]

This allows me to get the angles I need and keeps the shield nice and firm in place to free me up to focus on sanding without the shield moving. I then work my way in a similiar method to the outside using specific angles to get what I need. The following video will show you some tricks.

Sanding the inside of the shield video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbcR7JkU2M
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Probably too late here, but it is much easier sanding the inside using an angle grinder rather than a belt or disc sander.
ouragos

Andy
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.4hoplites.com">www.4hoplites.com
I was going to suggest a small buffing wheel with an abrasive disc....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The belt sander works just fine. It only took 2 to 2 1/2 hours on the inside. Remember there are various ways to skin a cat.

If you prefer to use a grinder, knock yourself out. Like I said in the beginning, feel free to add your own material to help others make a good quality aspis. I just ask that people show methods so others may understand how to do it.

There are various ways to do this. I am simply showing a quick and easy way using only a few tools.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Some points if your using a belt sander are to work from the rim to the face of the shield. First, use the front edge of the belt sander to round the edges of each ring and then start sanding them down until the gaps disappear. This well help it travel more smoothly inside the shield.

Second note is that you will go through more belts on the inside due to them binding and breaking. I went through 7 on the inside to get it finished. You can go more slowly to prevent them from binding, but the extra hours aren't worth $8 to me.

Here are a few pictures rounding the edges.

[Image: 019a.jpg]

[Image: 020a.jpg]
Chris Boatcallie
Here is the shaped and sanded shield awaiting putty and final hand sanding.

[Image: 021a.jpg]

[Image: 022a.jpg]

Next, you will need to fill all the holes that tore out while sanding. I just use plastic wood or wood putty. Here is the shield drying overnight with putty applied.

[Image: 023a.jpg]

Tomorrow I will finish lightly sanding it to get it perfectly smooth and glue the inside layer to the shield.
Chris Boatcallie
This is really helpfull!! A step by step description of the procces will encourage me to do one by myself!

What is the power in watts of your belt sander? I have a cheap orbital sander that would be ok for light sand and a "final touch", but to sand the edges of the discs... I think I should need something more powerful! :roll:

What kind of glue do you use? it is the same glue you use to cover it with linen or canvas?
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
I will have to check on the power of the sander. I just bought the best one available at the time and don't remember the specs. I will check for you though.

As far as glue, I use stainable outdoor carpenters glue for the rings and a gallon container of plain PVA white glue for the cloth covers (linen, canvas), and I would use contact cement for leather that you can buy at Tandy's Leather. I'll include that in the information once I start gluing.

If noone care about the steps after this I can stop documenting this and speed it up. If you still want the process then I will continue with how I do it as one alternative.

The majority of PM's I get are about how I get my shield's paint jobs done so I am planning on putting a lot of information about how I do it. I have made 40+ shields from various cultures and time periods at this point and have gotten it kind of down to an art for my own method. These methods works for me.
Chris Boatcallie
Quote:If noone care about the steps after this I can stop documenting this and speed it up. If you still want the process then I will continue with how I do it as one alternative.

Please keep documenting it all, it's very informative! Even though I don't do greek reenactment things like this tempt me to start such an impression. Smile

This will make a great 'How to'!

Thanks for the effort! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:If noone care about the steps after this I can stop documenting this and speed it up. If you still want the process then I will continue with how I do it as one alternative.

I agree with Marcus, please, continue getting pics, videos and explaining things step by step, is a great work, and I think this is the best how to I have seen. It will help a lot of people Big Grin
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Boy, I wish you had posted this last winter. I would have seriously considered this method.

Thanks for sharing the info. Laudes!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Yes sorry to interrupt, was not meaning to sound critical..please continue, this is pretty interesting.!
I like the shape you are getting!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have not been offended by anyone or feel like anyone was attacking me. I just don't want to insult anyone's intelligence by making this too basic. In the first post, I asked for others to contribute. Go ahead. I just didn't want to waste time writing this much detail if noone found it helpful or necessary.
Chris Boatcallie
Now that the putty has dried, I took a square palm vibrating sander with 100 grit dry sandpaper and lightly sanded the whole aspis to a nice smooth finish.

[Image: 024a.jpg]

[Image: 025a.jpg]

Next, we will add the inner layer.
Chris Boatcallie
First, decide on what material you will use for your inner layer. My Corinthian aspis is leather, but I opted with canvas for this second aspis. I have used leather, linen, and canvas on various shields depending on how authentic I really want them. I figure it doesn't matter to me at this point since it will be painted, and I personally like the look of painted heavy duck canvas.

I have used tacky glue, wood glue, and pva to coat the entire inner surface of the aspis EXCEPT THE RIM. This time I used run of the mill pva glue as I have found it works fine for bonding canvas or linen to wood. Coat the entire inside and let it start to get slightly tacky.

[Image: 026a.jpg]

[Image: 027a.jpg]
Chris Boatcallie

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aspis Construction Method rocktupac 34 18,935 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rocktupac
  making an aspis Chuck Russell 153 59,683 05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dany Boy