Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turned Aspis Project in Progress
Yeah, Ed offered to finish it like his other pieces - glass smooth and gleaming from a light oiling. The guys at work offer to get anchovies and lettuce and compete for the world's largest Caesar salad! I declined both offers.

The final weight is about 14 pounds (6.4kg). I don't have an accurate scale, but eyeing the bucket of sawdust I collected, I bet that's close. I was told that poplar (in the US) is the softest and lightest of the "hardwoods". Some pines are actually harder than the poplar.
Cheryl Boeckmann
A guy at the wood store gave me a large earful about the difference (from his perspective) on hardwoods, and softwoods. His take is that all deciduous trees are hardwoods, and all conifer trees are softwoods. With that definition, balsa is a hardwood. He explained that the question I was asking would better be phrased as "dense or less dense", which is what I was really asking.

Oak is dense, white pine is less dense. I found myself thinking, "Gimme a piece of 3" white pine, and let me bounce it off your head, bub, and we'll see if you think it's hard or not" after about 5 minutes of arboretical science info. All I wanted was some white oak. Gee.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Lauds madam!!!!!

Kind regards
Laudes from me,too. And another one waitting when the shield will be finished.I could say it has the most perfect shape I've seen on a shield. Looks identical to the sculptures from Aphaia (and yes,Chery,I know Athena is the leading figure there :wink: ). I wish luck and wait eagerly to see how it's going to look in every stage. I'm very jealous of you!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
This shield is perfect! http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/252 ... 80b4_o.jpg
Perhaps the most accurate looking. Fully covered with brass. It's from the Spanish group Athena Promackos,and I think it belongs to Eduardo...
And it's not the only one
http://lh5.ggpht.com/josebarranca/SDs9i ... imgmax=800
http://lh4.ggpht.com/josebarranca/SDs92 ... imgmax=576
http://lh4.ggpht.com/josebarranca/SDtB- ... imgmax=576
Don't any members of Athenea Promachos exist in RAT? They must have a great armourer who makes and mofifies armour for them!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Efharisto for the laudes.

Those Spanish shields are gorgeous. The painting is splendid. That's something to aspire to.

I have an appointment to see the metalspinners next week. I hope to convince them to experiment with me (and eat some of the tooling costs). If we get a good form made, there could be spun facings for sale in the future...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Quote:I also wonder if some clever work with cross-sectional drawings would allow you to rough-cut the slabs into arcs before gluing them together? Kind of like the plywood-ring method, but on a different plane. Less wood would be required, and it would be less work to shape it.

I did this successfully to make small unfinished aspises to test to destruction for something I was doing. I have not as of yet tried to do it for a full-sized model. I would love to have the measurements of each of her individual planks after the turning was over. Shame you can't take it apart and make patterns for all of us :wink:

Beautiful work.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
HA HA HA! Yeah,shame... So,Paul.it's not completely out of your mind to start building a kit yourself,right? Big Grin
I need start making that shield :x evil:
Giannis K. Hoplite
Incredible shiels, I really like it. Laudes! Big Grin
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

3. There is no 3. Mysterious!
Hey, hey, hey! I'm not breaking my aspis down for parts! Confusedhock:

Give me some time and I might have a way to pull the drawing into a 3DCad program and cut 40mm sections through the piece. I'll get back to you on that.
Cheryl Boeckmann
Quote:Give me some time and I might have a way to pull the drawing into a 3DCad program and cut 40mm sections through the piece. I'll get back to you on that.

That would be great. Being a neanderthall when it comes to woodworking, I sliced up a shallow plastic bowl to make the scale model. I quickly realized that I did not need a whole shield, but simply an arch, so I abandoned the concept. I used wooden pegs to hold the slices together as well as glue by the way, because I could not clamp it together as nicely as you have done.

Giannis:
Quote:So,Paul.it's not completely out of your mind to start building a kit yourself,right?

I spent the weekend scraping barnacles from my boat hull- a man has to have priorities. I will make one eventually, perhaps sooner if I make that 2010 trip. I would make a full sized shield like this if I had a pattern.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
You can get most of a kit from Manning Imperial for around $6000 (at least I think it's $6000 maybe it's $5000 or $7000).
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?

laudes! this is a fantastic effort. And im glad somebody is doing it the right way (at least what we think is the one) and not by rings.
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave
Don't know how I missed this Athena, but tha tis great work!
That is amazing work! Laudes to you and send my congratulations to your friend for his effort! That is a lot of work and effor to make a excellent example! I would certainly order one of those if you have plans to go into production!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I certaintly hope you make more.
Veni Vidi Vici

Regards,
John Abbate

1. Hello.

2. Do I know you?