Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Frankish" seax scabbard NEW PHOTOS
Looking forward to the information.

Martin.
Vendel is the same era, but a completly different region.
So there is a difference between the saexes themselves and the scabbards.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Yes I´m aware of that!

I´m just making a impression of a Scandinavian mercenary. There is almost non here who do that, everybody wants to be viks here in Sweden. So I wanna show something different. I´m not really doing a Vendelwarrior. Just a 550-700 european warrior.

Then again there is influences in the Vendelfinds of Frankish and Merovingian art, like the eagle-plates on the shields for example and some enbossments on the girdles and such.

The guys in the graves where more than likley aware of the Franks and had at least tradecontact with them.
Quote:Then again there is influences in the Vendelfinds of Frankish and Merovingian art, like the eagle-plates on the shields for example and some enbossments on the girdles and such.

The guys in the graves where more than likley aware of the Franks and had at least tradecontact with them.

I agree
Lots of trading and other connections existed, for centuries.

A complete reconstruction of Vendel grave 7 would be interesting to see.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Hehehe

And very Expencive

He was probally the richest guy in Scandinavia in his time.
Quote:Middle 8th century, I think.

The text is about at least three graves I think, which they put together into one image?

The first part refer to a sword from Bräunlingen, a 'goldgriffspatha' (gold hilt spatha), dated to c. 500.

Then the text refer to a Frankish immigrant (indicated apparently by his francisca axe) from the 6th c., who had been sent to conquered Alamannia and who was buried in Bad Krozingen.

The third person referred to is an 8th c. nobleman from Dürbheim, identified by a lot of silver fitting on his belt, scabbard, spurs etc.

So the scabbard is mid-8th c.?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
The last one it´s the one we are interested in (and it´s the drawing one).
The seax it´s taged as 8a the scabbard as 8b.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Iagoba

PM send.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I posted new photos, with a new reference object (me! :lol: ), and a general view of the contents of the cabinet, for those interested in them, also. :wink:
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Que intelectual estas con esas gafas!!

You have a very intelectual look with that glasses!
Tsss...que se note que tengo tabula cerata nueva para escribir:lol:

Es lo que tiene ser "Estudiante Erasmus" :wink:

Tssss...I ´ve got a new Tabula Cerata...so I can read and write! :lol:

It´s important when you´re a "Erasmus" student :wink:
Iagoba
From looking at the new pics I have to say that it sure looks like a Langsaex.I'm thinking it was carried like a sword (Captain obvious,thats me :roll: ) not the usual cross body carry as the smaller Seax. I think one of the guys on the Viking board is going to take a shot at making a replica.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
They haven´t got drawings but they give me references of books that I cannot buy or find Sad

Quote:Sehr geehrter Herr Ferreira Benito,
wir haben keine Zeichnung der in situ Lage der Saxscheide mit Silberbeschlägen aus Dürbheim. Wenn sie mehr über das Grab wissenwollen, empfehle ich folgende Literatur:

H. Steuer. Krieger und Bauern- Bauernkrieger. In: Die Alamannen(Stuttgart 1997) S.275 f.

G. Fingerlin/ R. Dehn. Ausgrabungen der archäologischen DenkmalpflegeFreiburg 1976. AN 18, S.12

G. Fingerlin/ R. Dehn. Ausgrabungen der archäologischen DenkmalpflegeFreiburg 1977. AN 20, S. 22

Leider ist dort auch nur eine Übersichtszeichnung des Gräberfeldes undkeine Zeichnung der original Fundlage abgebildet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dania Braun

Now, I have to find someone who have them... :?
Iagoba
Boy these folks make it hard.
You would think they would be happy to help people in their scholarly endeavors.
I tried running the titles and authors through a few obscure book finders. Nothing!
Maybe a shot at the Brit Museum or Brit library will turn some thing up.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
In spite of its huge size I wouldn't discard an horizontal supension 'sax' method :? The surviving ring near the chape strongly points in that direction, to my mind...

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:They haven´t got drawings but they give me references of books that I cannot buy or find Sad

Quote:Sehr geehrter Herr Ferreira Benito,
wir haben keine Zeichnung der in situ Lage der Saxscheide mit Silberbeschlägen aus Dürbheim. Wenn sie mehr über das Grab wissenwollen, empfehle ich folgende Literatur:

H. Steuer. Krieger und Bauern- Bauernkrieger. In: Die Alamannen(Stuttgart 1997) S.275 f.

G. Fingerlin/ R. Dehn. Ausgrabungen der archäologischen DenkmalpflegeFreiburg 1976. AN 18, S.12

G. Fingerlin/ R. Dehn. Ausgrabungen der archäologischen DenkmalpflegeFreiburg 1977. AN 20, S. 22

Leider ist dort auch nur eine Übersichtszeichnung des Gräberfeldes undkeine Zeichnung der original Fundlage abgebildet.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dania Braun

Now, I have to find someone who have them... :?

You might have more luck in finding the first as:
Fuchs, R., Kempa, M., Redies, R., Theune-Großkopf, B., & Wais, A. (ed.), Die Alamannen (2nd edition; Stuttgart, 1997 - I think it's published by Theiss Verlag).
I got my copy in Freiburg I think.

Guy
Guy Halsall
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/hist/staff/halsall.shtml">http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/hist/staff/halsall.shtml

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another seax dave74 6 1,917 01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Diocle
  Frankish or germanic belt boxes NEW PHOTOS Iagoba 13 4,218 08-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Last Post: garrelt