Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commands and Colors Anyone?
Just curious if anyone here plays it or has the game? I am looking at purchasing it as I really enjoyed Memoir '44 by the same guy. TIA and all the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Just purchased this game and spent the morning placing 300+ stickers on wooden blocks. The rules look pretty simple with a card driven mechanism. I will let you know more after I've played several senarios but I think it is going to be an enjoyable game.
Martin
Just to let you know that the game is playing really well and we are already considering getting the expansions Rome vs Barbarians and Romes Civil War.
A tip I have been given is that it may be wise to purchase Battlelore Epic expansion as this gives you a much better and longer lasting unbranded board which has hexes of the same dimensions....Happy battling.
Martin
If you have not already discovered this site for yourself then you might want to check it out:

http://www.thewargamer.com/ccancients/index.html

Some good basic information and a lot of "Home Brew" scenarios on a vast number of battles include the Siege of Jerusalem, Troy, etc.

You might find some useful information there...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks, its an excellent site
Martin
Quote:Thanks, its an excellent site

I agree thanks so much! It certainly adds more bang for ones buck with the extra scenarios! All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Mine are on their way as of today Smile D . All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Do give us your review HistoryLover once you have played through a couple of battles.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Do give us your review HistoryLover once you have played through a couple of battles.

Narukami

I will definitely do that Narukami...the one thing I am afraid of is the 'chunkability' of these wooden blocks, Ive heard they make pretty good thwacks when connecting with foreheads...ie Rachel getting ticked LOL. As I said have been playing Memoir '44 alot in anticipation and finally laid 3 defeats on her (she usually wins Sad D . All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Ah...war games as a contact sport eh...

You may need to wear a helmet.

Have not had that problem with my grandson yet, but then he usually wins playing Conquest of the Empire by being audacious, like attacking my home province with just a general & two infantry and winning. He has already mastered the art of throwing 6's.

Perhaps C&C will solve that problem...or make it worse.

Good luck and keep you eyes open for flying legions and/or elephants.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thats classic, lord knows if either of us tried that we'd get wiped out completely.

Well first game went down yesterday using the first scenario, I was Syracuse and she was Carthage...it wasnt a close game till the end, I overextended my left flank way to early and she got 3 banners, I was able to get my medium calvary going on the right flank but I failed to mobilize enough of my heavy infantry units in the center, kinda got cocky with them because I thought I had this in the bag because she only had one heavy infantry unit. I finally caught up and we were tied at 4 banners each (5 to win it all) and she had her last dice roll with medium infantry against an understrength my unit of 3 Heavy Infantry, I kinda thought I had it in the bag...she rolled 3 hits and one flag...and the game was over... :oops:

All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Sometimes even the best tactics can't beat the roll of the dice.

Thanks for the report -- all that I read and hear has convinced me to add these games to my list. Looks like GMT has a real winner on their hands with this one.

Now to start practicing my dice skills...

As the Emperor Augustus said (according to the I Claudius TV series that is) "These dice have nothing but sixes in them. Oh roll again."

Better luck with your next battle!

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks Smile .

But definitely if you have NOT picked this up, GET it! Big Grin I picked up the original and the Greek/Eastern Kingdoms expansion as well. Theres alot of stickers to put on the unit blocks but to me its relaxing and fun to do over time to your fave music.

The game plays just like Memoir '44 etc so its VERY simple and would be great I think for anyone 8 or up. All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Ah, I have wanted this game for a long time now. Once I get a bit o' spare cash, hopefully I will find a copy.

I've heard the rules are balanced and easy to learn, which this thread seems to support.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Quote:Ah, I have wanted this game for a long time now. Once I get a bit o' spare cash, hopefully I will find a copy.

Greetings!

You might find a good deal on E-bay in one of the numerous E-bay Game Stores.

Prices run in the $150 range for all four games (main game & the 3 expansions).

One store had all four (the main game 2nd edition, along with the three expansions) for $142 including shipping.

That is still a lot of money, but given the entertainment value as expressed here by Forum members it sounds like money well spent.

(Oh, and I have no vested interest in any e-bay stores, sites, or locations. Just trying to find the best deal and pass on the results on my search.)

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA