Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaning of Virtus...
I've heard this in reference to the Roman Legionary...is this kind of what embodies a roman soldier? What does it encompass?

Legion: TBD
I'm also looking for phrases that were made by famous citizens, politicians, emperors, soldiers or generals that embodied the strength, spirit and general professionalism and warrior ethos of the Legions. Anything spring to mind?

This was one of the first things I read about acouple of years ago, and basicaly, if I recall, you have it pretty much in a nutshell. Things that would effect a Romans virtus were loss of a battle, being crewed in the elections, having your legilation reforms thrown out of the senate, being ridiculed in public.

Caesar having manure dumped over Bilabus, his co-consuls head, would surely have damaged his opponent's 'virtus.

I could be slightly wrong tho'
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Manliness.

This is a good start: Roman Manliness by Myles Anthony McDonnell.

Also: http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GLOSSARY/VIRTUS.HTM

and: The Politics of Immorality in Rome by Catharine Edwards
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Virtus = manly courage / virtue (linked with vir = man, ie: bloke rather than human), thus particularly associated with martial valour.

Lewis & Short definition here. Have fun!
Pliny the Elder believes the display of virtus to be a surpassing quality of the Roman nature (Nat. 7.130).

Among the Jewish sources, 1 Maccabees 8:1-16 contents an eulogy to the Romans and their army, presenting a list “of their wars and of the brave deedsâ€
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
It is part of the Legio IX Hispana motto:

Fidelitas - Virtus - Magnanimitas

... as a circle, one precept supporting and in part defining the other. Virtus does not stand alone. It is not Virtus without the other two precepts.

M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER illustrates that point well.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Caesar, obviously, was the embodyment of this philosophy! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Wow...that is outstanding. Everyone, thanks for posting in this thread...you've helped me a great deal!

In connection with gladiators I read that virtus was considered the highest Roman moral quality consisting of the following:
- Fortitudo (strength)
- Disciplina (training)
- Constantia (steadiness)
- Patientia (endurance)
- Contemptus mortis (contempt of death)
- Amor laudis (love of glory)
- Cupido victoriae (desire to win)

Sources: Shadrake, Susanna: The World of the Gladiator, Tempus Publishing Ltd., 2005
Quote:- Fortitudo (strength)
- Disciplina (training)
- Patientia (endurance)

Qualities that sounds strangely familiar to what a Roman soldier would be all about. Smile
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Virtus (courage, valor, bravery, gallantry, fortitude) also went hand in hand with disciplina (education and training, self-control and determination, knowledge in a field of study, and an orderly way of life) IIRC.

The accounts of soldiers lacking both virtus and disciplina may well be true off the battlefield, but we have many accounts of them displaying virtus on the battlefield (one centurion may defile a noblewoman, but another will defend a camp with so many arrows sticking out of him he looked like a porcupine). From what I've gathered so far, it's when the men are idle that any semblance of disciplina goes out the window. The theory that Hadrian ordered the Wall built purely to keep the men occupied might have been to avoid them doing those things Alexander pointed out.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:- Fortitudo (strength)
- Disciplina (training)
- Patientia (endurance)

Qualities that sounds strangely familiar to what a Roman soldier would be all about. Smile

That was one reason why it was recommended for soldiers to watch gladiatorial displays to see an example of men who have the virtus which was expected from a soldier also.