Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First Roman Feast
I was so inspired by Hibernicus's photos of his Roman food (thread: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20263 ) that I decided to make something similiar at home!

For the mackerel, I preheated the oven at 350 degrees, stuffed the fishes with grape tomatoes, leeks, onions, and parsley, with olive oil and salt/pepper. The remaining stuffing I laid all around the fishes. Then drizzled everything with olive oil. Baked for about 25 minutes.

The side dish was apples and leeks cooked with honey (I was less sure of this one, so I guessed). Cut the apples, chopped the leeks. Add a small amount of water to the pot. Wait for boil. Cook the apples til slightly tender, add the leeks. Drain a bit. Add whatever amount of honey you like, to your taste. Stir. Cover pot. Set cooker on low and let stew for about 10 minutes. Don't let the apples get mushy!

[Image: RomanFeast1.jpg]
[Image: RomanFeast2.jpg]
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Looks great! In which Roman recipe did you find the tomatoes?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Looks great! In which Roman recipe did you find the tomatoes?

They are found in the little known 'Liber de Coquinaria Vulgus' where they are mentioned as 'pomi rubri de insulis Hesperiis'. Also our source for 'isicia caseata intra Alexandrinum panis' and 'salsa de rubris pomis vulgariter catsup vocatur'. A very popular cookbook among the Roman reenactment crowd.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - very droll, Volker! Big Grin
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Let me know if you live near Barrie next time you cook and I will help you devour the repaste!

Looks great!!

Brian
Brian Luscombe
`````````````````````````````[Image: hungry.gif]```````````````````````Yum! I'm hungry Tongue

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Thanks all! Big Grin lolSmile. We also ate some pita bread with the meal. I would have baked some Roman bread myself, but I still need practice with the baking!

In the future I'd like to purchase some nice roman clay dinnerware and oil lamps so that everything looks more authentic.

Quote:Let me know if you live near Barrie next time you cook and I will help you devour the repaste!
Brian

Absolutely, if I can ever get to a Legio XXX event, the more the merrier!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Wow, nice dish!

I was under the impression that tomatoes are native to south/central america and were only spread to europe after the spaniards arrival though?
Quote:Wow, nice dish!

I was under the impression that tomatoes are native to south/central america and were only spread to europe after the spaniards arrival though?

You are correct, they are from south America ... I use them only because I thought they would taste good with the leeks (they did). Well, I never said the dish was historically accurate, :lol: Wink
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:4gsxrtpb Wrote:Wow, nice dish!

You are correct, they are from south America ... I use them only because I thought they would taste good with the leeks (they did). Well, I never said the dish was historically accurate, :lol: Wink

Ah yes off course, the dish does look very tasty, I was just confused as Volker mentioned this recipe book:

Quote:
caiustarquitius:4gsxrtpb Wrote:Looks great! In which Roman recipe did you find the tomatoes?

They are found in the little known 'Liber de Coquinaria Vulgus' where they are mentioned as 'pomi rubri de insulis Hesperiis'. Also our source for 'isicia caseata intra Alexandrinum panis' and 'salsa de rubris pomis vulgariter catsup vocatur'. A very popular cookbook among the Roman reenactment crowd.

And I was wondering if that was from roman times or post-columbus times...
Quote:I was so inspired by Hibernicus's photos of his Roman food (thread: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20263 ) that I decided to make something similiar at home!

For the mackerel, I preheated the oven at 350 degrees, stuffed the fishes with grape tomatoes, leeks, onions, and parsley, with olive oil and salt/pepper. The remaining stuffing I laid all around the fishes. Then drizzled everything with olive oil. Baked for about 25 minutes.

The side dish was apples and leeks cooked with honey (I was less sure of this one, so I guessed). Cut the apples, chopped the leeks. Add a small amount of water to the pot. Wait for boil. Cook the apples til slightly tender, add the leeks. Drain a bit. Add whatever amount of honey you like, to your taste. Stir. Cover pot. Set cooker on low and let stew for about 10 minutes. Don't let the apples get mushy!

[Image: RomanFeast1.jpg]
[Image: RomanFeast2.jpg]

Sounds AWESOME, now where a bouts do you really live, are you part of
one of the groups in the Welland or Niagara regions? Which one? :oops:
Vale, Bryan
(Titus Rustius Lupus)
Armatus Et Ebrius

LEG XXX, Ulpia Victrix
Ontario, Canada

Thanks for having patience with me...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post