Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graham\'s Gladiatiors
By request of Graham, here four pictures of gladiators (okay, including a bit of chariot racing, for the lovers of horseflesh).

I especially like the female gladiator, she really looks tough as nails.

[Image: GrahamsGladiator7.jpg]

[Image: GrahamsGladiators8.jpg]
Andreas Baede
...and on to part II...

[Image: GrahamsGladiators6.jpg]

[Image: GrahamsGladiators5.jpg]
Andreas Baede
Thanks for posting those Andreas.

If anyone sees them in a book, possibly in America please can they let me know which one it is. I never got sent a copy or know who the author or publisher was!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Excellent as always, Graham.
You are a master.
Thank you Andreas for posting them.
Visit my Website at
[url:n6bls2l1]http://ilustro.webs.com/[/url]
Is that Dan Shadrake I see as the Retiarius? :lol:
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

Well spotted Mark, in which case you might know who the Gladiatrix is. However I had hoped you might have guessed who the Lanista was, as he is a bit closer to home! :wink:

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yeah! I didn't want to say anything, Lance has got a big enough ego already!! :lol:
Mark Downes/Mummius

Quote:Well spotted Mark, in which case you might know who the Gladiatrix is.

Ah, top picture, third from the left? And the Gladiatrix, is she from Ludus/LegIIAVG?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert wrote:
Quote:And the Gladiatrix, is she from Ludus/LegIIAVG?

No. :wink:

Graham.

Really nice pictures!

Unfortunately there are some deplorable mistakes:

- The secutor had just a short greave on his shield-foot (not two long greaves like on the picture)

- The hoplomachus helmet didn’t have “griffonâ€
Lucius Domitius Aurelianus
Patrik Pföstl

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.roemer.ch.vu">http://www.roemer.ch.vu

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php">http://www.celtae.de/SihFrewen/index.php

[Image: o3.gif]

Patrik,

Interesting observations, if a little harsh.

However I think the single minded preoccupation with helmet types may be in error. Admittedly the Griffin appears to be associated with the Thraex, however there are numerous depictions of gladiators where it is difficult to define the style of gladiator as the equipment appears to be mismatched. IMHO it's the overall equipment and fighting style which defines a gladiator.

As for the Retiarius's trident; This is the pomp and from my understanding the gladiators were kitted in their finest but not necessarily their actual combat weapons. It think that this scene is a good depiction of this. What I would say is that trident wounds, suggest a much smaller 'fork', closer to the fishing tool rather than a 'pitch fork' (we'll need to change ours Cry )

I'm not sure why you think the gladiators would follow the legionary style of fighting ie; short stabs. All our research and experiences lead us to believe that 'telegraphing' blows would be used increase the crowds excitement. Although this was a deadly sport it was not necessarily about killing people, it was about entertainment. There is nothing entertaining about killing an opponent with a move that no-one can see.

Regardless of that I think Lance (the lanista, again not sure why you dispute this) is about to crack someone with his rudis anyway.

Graham, is the gladiatrix Susannah?
Mark Downes/Mummius

I really like these pictures, great work Graham. Thanks Andreas for posting them.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
"However I think the single minded preoccupation with helmet types may be in error. Admittedly the Griffin appears to be associated with the Thraex, however there are numerous depictions of gladiators where it is difficult to define the style of gladiator as the equipment appears to be mismatched. IMHO it's the overall equipment and fighting style which defines a gladiator"

I dont agree there are "numerous" depictions where it is difficult to define the style as they were very distinct and specific and in most instances it is possible to identufy which is which. I would be intersted in any you can point me to which are vague?

"As for the Retiarius's trident; This is the pomp and from my understanding the gladiators were kitted in their finest but not necessarily their actual combat weapons. It think that this scene is a good depiction of this. What I would say is that trident wounds, suggest a much smaller 'fork', closer to the fishing tool rather than a 'pitch fork' (we'll need to change ours Cry )"

AFIK the depictions of the pomp had no weapons?

"I'm not sure why you think the gladiators would follow the legionary style of fighting ie; short stabs. All our research and experiences lead us to believe that 'telegraphing' blows would be used increase the crowds excitement. Although this was a deadly sport it was not necessarily about killing people, it was about entertainment. There is nothing entertaining about killing an opponent with a move that no-one can see"

I'd be interested in the sources used to come to this conclusion ?

cheers
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I understand it correctly that the picture in the first post shows real people? So I wonder how the woman on the left at first tied her strophium and if it really stays up when fighting. Because out of my own experience I had the strophium just wrapped around me like shown in that picture but it didn't stay up and I had to constantly adjust it. Quite a nuisance...

So I came up with the help of one of the guys of my group with a bit differenct way of strapping the thing around. That is I wrap it around two times, then move the long strap under from top to bottom to top again through the two-fold layers, throw it over the shoulder and tuck it under the two-fold layer in front from bottom to top and tie it. So it's kinda neck-holder strap just from the back to the front. Hard to explain, hope you understand a bit what I mean. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of that because on the photo in the "Gladiator Impression" section the strophium is covered by the pectorale.
Quote:""[i]As for the Retiarius's trident; This is the pomp and from my understanding the gladiators were kitted in their finest but not necessarily their actual combat weapons. It think that this scene is a good depiction of this. What I would say is that trident wounds, suggest a much smaller 'fork', closer to the fishing tool rather than a 'pitch fork' (we'll need to change ours Cry )"

cheers

There was this discussion about the weapons found in Pompeii if they were parade armor only or if they were used in combat. Scholars now believe that they were used in combat, esp. one nicely decorated provocator helmet shows repair marks (lunula shaped). Esp. gladiators from the Imperial shools showed off what they got and used that even in combat.

As for the tridents, there were different types depicted and found. Many do look like a pitch fork, while in London they found one with a prolonged middle-tongue with a small fork but hooks on the end which does resemble more like fishing tool. I would say you could use the shape you personally prefer and which you think is easier for you to handle.