Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Welcome back Sait.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello! I'm Alessandro, from Italy.
My interest in classical antiquity–most of all the military aspects–goes back to my childhood, but I started reading books on the subject again only in recent years.
I'm here to learn and collect information for a project I'm currently working on, and also because I hope to find people interested in it, of course.
Brick 
Greetings!

I am Bruce Pruett and live on a small ranch in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California.  I am primarily interested in Roman/German history and my current fascination is the Gallic Empire. 
I am also retired from my role as a marketing executive for some major Silicon Valley companies.  If you want marketing advice for your project/whatever, I am happy to share my thoughts.

A military brat, I've lived in Morocco and a few places in Germania Superior as well as other non-Roman-related areas of the world.  I speak three languages - English, German, and Hessisch (I even make Ebblewoi at home). 
Although I have degrees in psychology, philosophy, and oenology I am constitutionally an auto-didact, but I am getting therapy for that.  I am also ex-US Army, so I hope to bring marginally more practical military experience/thought processes into these discussions.  From what I have read, a number of you have similar martial experience.

I know I will never be able to contribute as much as I take away from all the knowledge and experience represented here, but I'll try.  I have a ton of questions and the list is growing.

I promise to resort to the search engine first before asking any questions. 

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Bruce
Welcome Bruce! Please add your name to your signature? That way you won't forget adding it to every message. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello everyone! My name is Marcus. I live near the city of Washington D.C.

I am in very interested in the civilizations and militaries of Classical and Late Antiquity. Mainly the Romans, the Hellenes and the Persians. But I am usually researching more about the Romans then the other two. I am especially interested with the Roman Army of the 3rd and 4th centuries and the history of the Empire in the 3rd and 4th centuries.

I would like to learn about the ''late'' Roman Army in this forum along with other subjects and perhaps share my thoughts time to time.
Welcome to the forum Marcus. Greetings from a fellow Late Roman.

Don't forget to add your real name to your signature!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi

Just discovered this forum after receiving a copy of the book Roman Body Armour by H & J Travis for Christmas (the forum is mentioned in the book as a good resource on things Roman). I had a brief look at the forum today and have just registered.

I have been interested in Roman history, particularly Roman military history, since I was a teenager reading books like the "Eagle of the Ninth" and Breem's "Eagle in the Snow", collecting model Roman armies in various scales as a wargamer.

A couple of years ago I started wargaming with Romans again, this time collecting 3rd Century Romans and building a Sassanid persian army to fight them. This, plus the books by Harry Sidebottom, Simon Scarrow etc, has rekindled my interest in the Roman military.

I am particularly interested in the logistical and administrative aspects of the Roman army. I spent 27 years in the British Army (retired in 2003) and I have always been struck by the similarities between the Roman and modern military when it comes down to the administration. Looking forward to reading and learning more on here. 

Barrie
(12-27-2018, 09:25 PM)Barrie Wrote: I am particularly interested in the logistical and administrative aspects of the Roman army. I spent 27 years in the British Army (retired in 2003) and I have always been struck by the similarities between the Roman and modern military when it comes down to the administration.

You might consider enrolling on the Roman Army School in Durham at the end of March (see this thread: https://www.romanarmytalk.com/showthread...#pid347976). There you would meet enthusiasts from all walks of life but particularly, from your point of view, Charles Jackman now retired, I think, as a colonel in the Army and a 'loggie'. Technically, you are out of time, as the cut-off date was the 23rd December, but if you get in quickly there may be a space for you. I should contact Susan Porter and see what she says. You could mention my name, in case that helps and is not the kiss of death to the whole idea!
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Hi all  - it's great to be here.

- where are you from?
Originally Chicago, but I've been living in Seattle for 30 years.

- how'd you become interested in Rome?
As a young person I was fascinated by Greek history and mythology (weren't we all).  This lead to non-fiction reading of Greek history in college, when then bridged me over to Roman history.  What really turned the dial in adult-hood was reading Colleen McCullough's Rome series though, and from there I started reading Roman historical non-fiction to better understand the times.  I've moved on from there to actually reading Roman literature (in English) direct, e.g. Cicero, Livy   

My other keen interest is in Roman Britain, thanks to the Medicus series by Ruth Downie.  My wife is unsure what to make of thin esoteric books on Roman coinage and Latin 101. 

- why are you here?
To be able to chat with others who have a passion for Roman history, literature, and bringing it to life in the modern world.  My wife/kids alas have no such interest.

- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?
I've been doing Star Wars costuming (501st) for 15 years, but that is starting to dial down and this is a great way for me to combine the passion for re-enactment with my favorite time period.

Right now my goal is to be a sponge and learn as much as I can.  Thanks so much!
Hi everyone, I`m Mike Collins.
I write wargames rules - so far a Napoleonic set (called Grand Manoeuvre) and two period-specific ancient ones; Bella Contra Barbaros (Rome`s wars with the Barbarians 100BC-100AD-ish) and Storm of Spears (hoplite warfare for the period 430-360 BC). I also make Napoleonic 6mm paper armies (not flats, but a cube construction), but I do have some rough designs prepared and plans later sometime perhaps to make ancient armies available...
As a guest I have found this site most enlightening (I think i joined this group earlier but lost my password!) anyhow i`m on board now and I`m looking forward to learning more about Roman stuff and maybe even contributing a little bit to the group too if I`m able.
Welcome all new members!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hello, all!

I'm Joona Vuoristo, from Finland. History, pre-medieval in particular, has interested me for a long time (since reading Asterix, haha Tongue ). I have lurked here occasionally for a while, but the threads on Alans and other steppe cultures really drew me in. Never re-enacted, but I do have a growing interest in it.
Joona Vuoristo
Howdy,

I am from Texas
What piqued my interested in Rome was Rome Total War but what really got me into Roman history, specifically military history, was the book series The Artorian Chronicles by James Mace.
I am here after I discovered this community while putting together a late Roman British legionary.
Currently I am a history student at a university. I do not reenact at the moment but I would enjoy to do so.
Parker
(08-02-2019, 11:28 PM)Julius Neops Wrote: Howdy,

I am from Texas
What piqued my interested in Rome was Rome Total War but what really got me into Roman history, specifically military history, was the book series The Artorian Chronicles by James Mace.
I am here after I discovered this community while putting together a late Roman British legionary.
Currently I am a history student at a university. I do not reenact at the moment but I would enjoy to do so.

Hello Julius and welcome!May you have a lot of fun here and I hope we can help each other as much as that.

Please add your real (first) name to your signature later - a forum rule!

PS: did you chose 'Neops' instead of 'Nepos' on purpose? A great man - last Roman Emperor in the West.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Welp, I meant to put Nepos, don't know why I'm just noticing that, I also can't seem to figure out how to change it or put my signature. I apologize for my ineptitude but I'm fairly terrible when it comes to computers, I know someone of my generation is bad with them *gasp* This is also the first forum I've ever joined.
Parker