Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recruits
Hello all! MY name is Marvin, long time lurker, first time poster. I am very new to the world of Roman reenacting, although not reenacting itself. I have done American Civil War, and currently do early 19th century, including being part of the crew on a reconstructed keelboat. I live in Arkansas about 3 hours from Lafe, and I have been to the fort a few times, but I haven't been to Clash yet. I am going to be working on a Ceaser/Gallic wars impression, and am starting to collect gear. This is somewhat more mind boggling that doing Civil War, so I may have lots of dumb questions. Right now I am working on my second balteus, for my gladius. I already have one that I made for my pugio. Next step will be trying to get rid of the Gallic H that I have and getting a Montefortino or other appropriate helmet.
Salve, Magister of the web-vs site-vs! I'm from Arkansas, U.S., and I got my first taste of Rome (believe it or not) during 6th grade when I saw an illustration of some soldiers in lorica segmentata and thought "Ooh, they look neat!" Now, I do research for funzies whenever I'm bored, which is how I found this site. I don't do reenactments, mostly because I don't have all the gear, but I hope to start someday eventually, preferably as a circa 1st cent. BC republican legionary.
HONOR VICTORIAQVE TECVM

John F.
Where in Arkansas are you? I am in Dardanelle.
Salve Marvin! Welcome to RAT. There may be a group near you that can help with putting together your kit. Where are you?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I am in Dardanelle, about 3 hours from Lafe. Unfortunately there aren't any groups left here in Arkansas,,that I have heard of. I have worked with Red Millis some and Carl, the owner of Castra Lafe. I have also had some help from Kevin of Legio Decima.
Hello,

I have found my way here through an interest in ancient military tactics. I have been involved in reenactment and LARP for about 30 years as well as studying various martial arts.

Of particular interest is probably the fact that I run a group that experiments with different weapon types and military tactics. I then go on to apply those tactics to large scale battles to test their effectiveness. The roman systems have a lot to offer and I am looking forward to some robust discussions about the effectiveness of particular techniques. I am also interested in any suggestions of strategies or tactics that we could experiment with.

I am based in Devon in the UK.
Salvete!

My name is Adrian and I've had a fascination with classical history since I found a copy of my grandfathers Bullfinchs Mythology as a child and read it cover to cover. I've been a professional Soldier for 26 years and when I retire (soon.....) I hope to finish my degree in history, and ultimately teach History at the High school level. I'm a military history buff as well, with my favorite periods being Greece and Rome, the American Civil War and WW2. I was active in the online group Nova Roma for a number of years, and flirted with Roman re-enacting several years ago, but it never went anywhere due to lack of active units in my area the time. I curenntly live in Massachusetts, USA and I am interested in trying to get involved in re-enacting again if I can find a group locally.

Valete!

Adrian Gunn
Salve Adrian and welcome to RAT. There is an active group in Massachusetts, Legio III and you can talk to Andy Volpe about it. I think he still visits here but he is on Facebook regularly.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Yep, Legion III Cyrenaica is still active, and we have members in all of the New England states. PM sent.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I'm not really new here but I've been inactive for quite some time, so I think I should re-introduce myself :-)

I'm Jason Scharoun, and I've been interested in Rome since the end of Fourth Grade. I love to work with brass, and I've made quite a few small objects of my kit and accessories to go with it. I've also been working on re-doing a Indian Gladius, and I plan to continue the thread here where I left off. I joined this forum almost a year ago, but over the summer I became increasingly inactive, and since I already had made some mistakes while I was a little younger on here, I thought it would be good to get a fresh start. I've read a whole lot more, and I hope that now maybe I can contribute a little on here without getting everything wrong ;-)

-Jason
Welcome back Jason.
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Greetings,

I'm Jose Manuel from Spain. I like history and a lover of boardgames and wargames of all time periods and off course I'm a lover of ancient battles too. I works as engineer in a shipyard so I'm afraid I don't work in anything about Rome.
Hi Jose,
Welcome to RomanArmyTalk. Make yourself at home.
(Please note that one of our rules is that you add at least your real first name to either your signature or your username.)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
(10-28-2015, 06:10 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Hi Jose,
Welcome to RomanArmyTalk. Make yourself at home.
(Please note that one of our rules is that you add at least your real first name to either your signature or your username.)

Sorry! I usually sign my messages as Jose Manuel... but I have forgotten it in my first message!!

Thank you!

Jose Manuel
Greetings;

- where are you from? I am from Kansas, USA
- how'd you become interested in Rome? I love Roman Army movies, games (mostly table top minatures), and now interested in reenactment
- why are you here? I wish to learn about the Roman Army gear, lifestyle
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..? I would love to re-enact. Any group in and around Kansas?

Most Respectfully;
Douglas