Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup
Italy - Germany
2 - ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The germans did put up a good game but were exhausted from earlier matches! The second goal happened faster than I could finish writing an SMS! Evidently they imploded!

Good match and even "clean"!
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I’m very happy – tomorrow we will have the future world champion – Portugal or France!

Today Italy-Germany mach was so poor at strike and imagination levels the world champion will be decide tomorrow…

Lets see the near future if will be Lusitanian’s or Gaulish or… Italics?

Salvete!

Alexius
Primus Inter Pares

Cetobrigus Alexius / Alexandre de Setúbal
Quote: The second goal happened faster than I could finish writing an SMS! Evidently they imploded!

They didn't implode. But every player was in front of the Italian goal trying to use the last minute to get that damn ball in, and then the Italians run a conter. :wink:
[Image: Atrectus.jpg]
centurio pilus prior cohortis Primus Tungriorum peditata
AKA Gabriele Campbell
I really hate the Azzuri now.

I thought both teams played way too conservatively. In fact, I think most of the teams played either too conservatively or tried to dive and foul out the other team. *coughItalyvs.Australiacough* The Germans came alive in the final minutes of regular time and then the overtime that I saw as the TV was knocked out for a while because of thunderstorm but they just didn't push the Italians hard enough.

*sigh*

I can't believe I'm actually rooting for France. Les Bluuuuuuuuuuu!!

GO FROGS!!!
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:sorry I can't resist:

http://www.cisalpina.net/temp.asp

:lol: :lol:

I think I would be more inclined to watch soccer matches if the players looked like that...

Roma vs Sparta would be rather fun game to watch...... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Roma vs Sparta would be rather fun game to watch......
Talk about cards though...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hmmm. As I despise National States, better the concept "National State" as a timeworn and redundant thing, interesting only to mental dinosaurs who, hopefully, become extinct very soon, I do not see a deeper sense in the FIFA Worldcup. However, I see Europe win it, so in that sense I can be happy again. Wouldn´t it have been a much better picture, if all the European fans had held up the blue flag with the golden stars?
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Very nice idea, but would other nations not demand that we send just one team, like the USA? :lol:
I fear that will happen in the not-too-distant future, anyway.. It would give the others much better chances!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: I fear that will happen in the not-too-distant future, anyway..
Good!
Big Grin
Quote:It would give the others much better chances!

I disagree. If we had the best of the European players, we might have the best team in the world: All teams in the finals are European teams right now.

So: [size=150:160v3zpk]GO EUROPE!! [/size]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I'd rather support my home country than my continent.
Quote:
Quote:It would give the others much better chances!

I disagree. If we had the best of the European players, we might have the best team in the world: All teams in the finals are European teams right now.
Hmmm... This point is clearly debatable. I think that when you bring together the very best players from diverse teams/settings, they often provide sub-par performances. Attributable to lack of team-building time, most often. Even if the players left their homes to train together for an extended period, I suppose you would end up with different philosophies which would theoretically be overridden by the coach they selected to lead the team. Politically speaking, I imagine you'd need coaches from all of the "prominent" countries contributing players. I imagine it would be a bit of a nightmare trying to assemble a seamless and unified team. However, the day will probably come...

I'm writing this as someone who is not terribly familiar with football, but I believe this principle, which I've observed in other sports, would likely hold true in this case as well.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
You just have to look at Real Madrid to see what happens when you put the best players together. Their "los galácticos" hasn't done that well considering you have Beckham, Ronaldo, Zidane (who just retired) and other star players.

Just because someone is great on one team, doesn't mean they are necessarily great working with another team, esp. with other great players that have their own styles.
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Quote:Hmmm. As I despise National States, better the concept "National State" as a timeworn and redundant thing, interesting only to mental dinosaurs who, hopefully, become extinct very soon, I do not see a deeper sense in the FIFA Worldcup. However, I see Europe win it, so in that sense I can be happy again. Wouldn´t it have been a much better picture, if all the European fans had held up the blue flag with the golden stars?

Won't work for me. I am German first, European second. Big Grin

And I don't see myself as dinosaur. I have lived in Sweden for several years and can imagine living in other countries than Germany again, I write novels in English, my ancestry is part Russian, I watched the play Italy/Australia in an Italian restaurant and joined them singing Fratelli d'Italia ... I'm European enough, but Germany is the place I have grown up, German the language I spoke first, and I never deny my identity as German when my country gets attacked by prejudiced nationalists of other European nations (something I have experienced while traveling). That doesn't mean I think Germany is in any way better than any other nation. It's just my point of identification: a German European, if you want. :wink:
[Image: Atrectus.jpg]
centurio pilus prior cohortis Primus Tungriorum peditata
AKA Gabriele Campbell
[size=150:1flazmgj]Merci Zizou!!![/size]
----------
Deb
Sulpicia Lepdinia
Legio XX
Ah, Asterix vs. Caesar next Sunday...
[Image: Asterix_und_Obelix_gegen_Caesar_F_D_I_1999_B03.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)