Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fumbling
Hi Guys

Fumbling my way round in the dark here for a place to start, finding the list of must have books was great and this is the first site to have one that I have found where more than a couple of people had an opinion, like I said in my introduction, I am here following a rebirth of interest in Roman Military History, I am also a military modeler so want to find out about uniforms etc.

I bought to start with Adrian Goldsworthy's In The Name Of Rome, which is proving interesting reading, though to be honest I am more interested in the Roman Conquest of the UK is there any of the books more suited to that period, also what about Gladiators, books on them.

Any help would be great

Robin
Robin Snelson
Hi Robin!

For the Roman invasion of Britain I remember more than one book on that subject is on the market, but I cannot recommend a specific one without having read it.

For Gladiators my first choice is:

Marcus Junkelmann, Das Spiel mit dem Tod. So kämpften Roms Gladiatoren (Mainz 2000, ISBN 3-8053-2563-0)

It is the best up-to-date work on this subject.
I don`t know if there is an English language edition but as it contains lots of pictures of originals and reconstructed Armour suits it would be highly useful even if you don´t understand German.

Greets,

Decebalus/Andreas Gagelmann
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
A History of Roman Britain
Peter Salway
ISBN: 0192801384
Edition New edition
Paperback
Oxford University Press

Very interesting book.

'One could not ask for a more meticulous or scholarly assessment of what Britain meant to the Romans, or Rome to Britons, than Peter Salway's Monumental Study' Frederick Raphael, Sunday Times From the invasions of Julius Caesar to the unexpected end of Roman rule in the early fifth century AD and the subsequent collapse of society in Britain, this book is the most authoritative and comprehensive account of Roman Britain ever published for the general reader. Peter Salway's narrative takes into account the latest research including exciting discoveries of recent years, and will be welcomed by anyone interested in Roman Britain.

Table of contents (Back to top)

I. The First Roman Contacts; II. The Roman Conquest; III. Imperial Crisis and Recovery; IV. The End of Roman Britain; V. Britain Under Roman Rule; Further Reading; List of Roman Emperors; Index
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus
Thanks for the help Guys

Robin
Robin Snelson
Salve,

Guy de la Bedoyere has written many books on Roman Britain, some of these may be of use

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/202-6198436-3841467?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books-uk&field-author=Guy%20de%20la%20Bedoyere

(Sorry for the loooong link) Big Grin

Hope this helps
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
The Ending of Roman Britain
A. S Esmonde Cleary
ISBN: 0415238986
Paperback
If you also want to know more about the end...

Why did Roman Britain collapse? What sort of society succeeded it? How did the Anglo-Saxons take over? And how far is the traditional view of a massacre of the native population a product of biased historical sources? This text explores what Britain was like in the 4th-century AD and looks at how this can be understood when placed in the wider context of the western Roman Empire. Information won from archaeology rather than history is emphasized and leads to an explanation of the fall of Roman Britain. The author also offers some suggestions about the place of the post-Roman population in the formation of England.

Table of contents (Back to top)

Acknowledgements
List of illustrations
Preface
Introduction
1 The Structures of the State 1
2 The Continental Background 16
3 Britain in the Fourth Century 41
4 The Passing of Roman Britain: 380-430 131
5 Britons in the Fifth Century 162
6 Postscript: Continuity and Change 188
References 206
Bibliography 219
Index 236
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus