Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C. Julius Caesar\'s Tenth Legion (the knights)
I have been in discussion about this legion with a "roundtable" of Roman history students. One is adamant that Julius Caesar's Legio X was raised in Spain. Unfortunantly, his only 'source' is "Caesar's Legion", by Dando-Collins, the ?Terry Jones? of Roman Military History.

Does anyone have a serious source for the initial recruitment area for the Tenth Legion of Julius Caesar's army? Was the Tenth one of Caesar's "Spanish" legions?

Thank you
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
These are the sources for Leg. X at the start of Caesar's campaign in 58BC:
Caesar, BG I.40: "If noone else would follow him, he would go all the same, accompanied only by the 10th legion; of its loyalty he had no doubt, and it should serve as his bodyguard. (Caesar placed the highest confidence in this legion for its bravery and had shown it particular favour."
Frontinus, Strat. I.11: "Gaius Caesar, when about to fight the Germans and their king, Ariovistus, at a time when his own men had been thrown into panic, called his soldiers together and declared to the assembly that on that day he proposed to employ the services of the tenth legion alone."

Both of these quotes, describing the same scene, prove that the Xth legion had a history before the start of the Gallic wars (cf. Harmand, L'armee et le Soldat à Rome, 33 n.54). The Xth was therefore among the four legions already in Gaul or Illyricum (Caes, BG I.8.2 & Plut, Pomp., XLVIII.3, Dio XXXVIII.8.5). Cf. Smith, Service, 19-22 & 36.
Conclusion: we can count the number of legions in various provinces before the Gallic wars but their origin is completely unknown. Hope this helps Caius.

The Spain in Dando-Collins may come from the earliest references to Legio X Gemina (which is certainly related to X Eq) after the Civil Wars: that legion is then stationed in Spain.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
One other brief note might be worthy of mention, from Appian. It occurs in the description of the meeting between Antonius and Lepidus in 43BC near Forum Julii; Ledipus has orders to oppose Antonius, but the troops of both generals, being mainly former Caesarians, encourage them to join forces instead - particularly the tenth legion, recently re-raised by Lepidus:

Quote:The Tenth legion, recruited from non-Italians and led in the past by Antonius, prepared the way for him within the camp.
Appian BCIII.83

The majority of Caesar's legions were originally raised in Transpadane Gaul, and therefore might not have been regarded as 'Italians' anyway, but Appian's emphasis on the non-Italian origin of the Tenth in particular might suggest that they were raised somewhere else altogether - Spain is a reasonable conjecture.

Apart from this, I am unaware of any other evidence.

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
That's interesting Nathan, but the question is whether Appian refers here to the original raising of the Xth or of the re-raising. I'd say that considering the context, the latter is more likely.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
For the legion to have been 'led in the past by Antonius' however, I'd say the re-raised formation must have been effectively the same as the original (ie Caesarian) tenth legion, who were only disbanded c.45 before being re-raised in 43, and Antonius would not have had the opportunity to lead them at any previous point.

A letter from Munatius Plancus (senate loyalist governor of Gallia Comata) to Cicero in April of 43 seems to confirm this:

Quote:...if he (Antonius) brings some of his forces with him, and if the tenth veteran legion, which, having been recalled to its duty by my exertion, and is now with the others, relapses into its old mad conduct, nevertheless I will do my best to prevent any loss; and I hope I shall prevent it, provided that forces from Rome are sent across, and by forming a junction with me find it easier to crush these abandoned men. (Cicero Ad.fam IIII)

Quite why Plancus believes that the tenth were 'recalled to its duty' by his own efforts escapes me - they were clearly with Lepidus at this point!

I think the significance of the tenth being non-Italians might be that their loyalties lay much more strongly with their commanders than with the Senate in Rome - even more so than was the case with other legions of this period raised closer to the Italian heartland. Dando-Collins' suggestion that the tenth were originally raised by Caesar himself in Spain during his tenure as governor there does actually make sense in this respect - they would have no regard whatsoever for those condoning his murder, and plenty of motives for pushing for reconciliation amongst Caesar's former deputies, in the pursuit of revenge.

That said, of course, we still have no real evidence to back the claim!

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Forget Dando-Collins.

For questions of Republican/early imperial legions, I would always turn to Lawrence Keppie.

In his Making of the Roman Army, he points out that the Tenth legion was formed in "59 or earlier: with Caesar in Gaul 58-49; Spain, 49; Pharsalus, 48; Thapsus, 46; disbanded 46-45, but fighting again at Munda, 45. Re-formed by Lepidus, 44; passed to Antony, 43; Philippi, 42. With Antony in the East, 41-31; Actium, 31. Stationed in Spain, 30? onwards" (1984, p. 209).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Pirates Such a Threat it Took a Military Genius Like Julius Caesar to Beat Them? Wrangler29 1 187 06-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,341 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? Tempestvvv 3 3,721 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Bryan