Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London \'Pompeii of the North\'
Surely mentioned here before, but this new article is quite interesting:

'Entire Streets' of Roman London Uncovered in the City

The area has been dubbed the "Pompeii of the north" due to the perfect preservation of organic artefacts such as leather and wood....

More than 100 fragments of Roman writing tablets have been discovered. Some are thought to contain names and addresses, while others contain affectionate letters...

MOLA's Sophie Jackson said the site contains "layer upon layer of Roman timber buildings, fences and yards, all beautifully preserved and containing amazing personal items, clothes and even documents."

Could turn up some good stuff, even beyond the obligatory journalistic hyperbole!

:-)
Nathan Ross
If leather was preserved, then surely some oppertunities to find new shoes and belts, tunics and maybe even a subarmalis as well.
Quote:If leather was preserved, then surely some oppertunities to find new shoes and belts, tunics and maybe even a subarmalis as well.
There is already a ton of military leather from London, including tents and some horse gear. The problem has been getting it published (much of it was misidentified when first discovered and it took Carol v.D-M to spot its true nature). Sadly it's unlikely to be included in the forthcoming military equipment catalogue for various reasons.

Military belts, like horse harness and lorica seg internal leathers, never survive, even in anaerobic conditions, probably because it was tawed or oiled, not tanned, leather that was used (a subject that has been discussed before on RAT).

Walbrook contained a lot of military stuff by dint of the fact the Romans effectively bulldozed the central area of the city after the Boudican revolt and made more space for themselves by levelling down into the Walbrook valley. To me, it looks like this material included the remains of a military midden (aka Schutthügel), going by what has come out so far (i.e. before the present campaign of excavations: Walbrook has always been, quite literally 'producing the goods' – the Bank of England lorica seg breastplate came from there).

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Another article here.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Yes, maybe we will find a padded linen subarmalis too!! Cool
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I love the amber amulet in shape of gladiator helmet which is seen in the article linked by Nathan. That's some kind of fan article I haven't seen before, fibulas, oil lamps, knife handle and even glass vessels are known as gladiatorial fan merchandise.
moving pictures here;
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22103659
The most puzzling object is an elaborately worked piece of leather, padded and stitched with an image of a gladiator fighting mythical creatures. The archaeologists believe it may have come from a chariot, but are only guessing since nothing like it has ever been found.

Surely not!!! :o :o :o

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The company that I work for are carrying out the demolition and groundworks on site so I have been privileged to have regular access to the dig and the MOL chaps at work.

It's an amazing site.
Marc Byrne
Amongst the fabulous finds is this...(which Caballo would have posted if he could!!)
[attachment=6967]_66913808_5_mysteryleatheritem_museumoflondonarchaeology.jpg[/attachment]

As he notes, possibly from a piece of furniture, but the Gentlemen of the Press prefer a chariot!

What I find interesting is that it clearly depicts sea horses and not Capricorn. Fascinating!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks like leather, what is it?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is decorative leather and one assumes your guess is as good as anyones. It looks like a cover from something and one supposes the shape has given rise to the speculation that it is from a piece of furniture.

Why someone assumes it is from a chariot is a step too far for me!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Here's another article with a lot of photos and a video. It's really cool how many nice objects they found there, really an interesting site and definitely a reason to come to London again sooner or later:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ation.html