Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Helmet from Empel Netherlands
Salvete,

[I have edited the title of this topic because the helmet is actually from Empel, not Cuijk, see below]

I have recently stumbled over photos of this helmet on the internet:

link

According to google translator (slightly edited) this means:

„Roman helmet - Among the offerings in the temple were found, dated around 200 AD, an equestrian helmet. The helmet is equipped with iron and bronze fittings. It is now in the North Brabant Museum 's-Hertogenbosch. Helmets of this type are found throughout the former Empire, but this specimen is in exceptionally good condition. The cause for the deep hole left behind in the helmet can only be guesseed. Also shields, swords, horse fittings and other items of military equipment were found in the temple as votive gifts.“
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
It's quite big, compared to other helmets. I think Jasper made quite some pictures when we were visiting the Brabants museum some years back.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you Jvrjenivs!

In the meantime I have found out that I got things messed up. The helmet in the link is actually the helmet from the temple at Empel, Netherlands, which has already been published in

Roymans, N./T. Derks (eds): De tempel van Empel. Een Herculesheiligdom in het woongebied van de Bataven, `s-Hertogenbosch, 1994
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Well, I was commenting on the helmet in the Brabants museum. Found the findspot of Cuijk rather strange and Empel for sure seems more logical for a helmet on display in Den Bosch. Big Grin

But anyway, you might find it interesting to know that there seem to be found yet another helmet only a couple of weeks ago. From what I've been told it was in a more or less good shape, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get any more information about it, yet. I should have asked when I was at the restaurateurs workshop of the Valkhof museum last week...
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you Jvrjenivs, that is very interesting indeed, please keep us posted on the new find if you should get any more information!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jvrjenivs,

sorry for being a pest, but could you take a look at my other topic (Roman Coolus Helmet found in Netherlands) and see whether this may be the helmet you saw in the Valkhof museum?

Thank you!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Well, I didn't see it, but this may be the one I was talking about. And it's looking good.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet from Kessel the Netherlands agrimensor 1 1,934 01-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman ships from Utrecht, The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 1 2,301 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Late Roman Fortifications in the Netherlands SMC2 15 4,145 06-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Last Post: SMC2