Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A reassuring thought
Yesterday, I received some old books, all written by the great Altertumswissenschaftler of the nineteenth and early twentieth century. And there it was: August Wuensche, "Der Kuss in Bibel, Talmud und Midrasch" (1911) - a small book on all aspects of kissing, in the Bible, in the Rabbinical literature and the anecdotal literature. Chapter division: the kiss on the cheek, feet, and so on. Somehow, I find this very reassuring.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Big Grin
There seems to be a book on the use of roof tiles in ancient street fights. I've never found it, but it's good to know that it exists.
Jona Lendering
My website
This made me giggle all morning... Big Grin
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
caiustarquitius:2tgtoxv1 Wrote:Big Grin
There seems to be a book on the use of roof tiles in ancient street fights. I've never found it, but it's good to know that it exists.

:lol: :mrgreen:
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)
Quote:There seems to be a book on the use of roof tiles in ancient street fights.
Interesting. W.D. Barry, "Roof Tiles and Urban Violence in the Ancient World", GRBS 37.1 (1996) 55-74, doesn't reference any German literature.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
well three sources are
Platean women - roof tiles vs Thebans (Thukidides)
Argive mother - roof tile vs Pyrros (Plutarch)
Spartan women -roof tiles vs Romans (Polyvios)

No this gentle man probably found staff about rioting in Alexandria

Hmmm interesting!

Kind regards
Quote:
Jona Lendering:b7x8vb1v Wrote:There seems to be a book on the use of roof tiles in ancient street fights.
Interesting. W.D. Barry, "Roof Tiles and Urban Violence in the Ancient World", GRBS 37.1 (1996) 55-74, doesn't reference any German literature.
Maybe I was told about this article, and believed it was a book. (I did not remember it as a German book; in my memory, it was English.)

It's amazing - perhaps shocking, perhaps comforting - that people devote a substantial part of their life to articles about "The Price of Woman's Hair in the Third Century" or "Subsistence Farming in Roman Lusitania". Or kissing in the Talmud. It doesn't mean that it's useless; I think Walter Eder's Das Vorsullanische Repetundenverfahren is excellent. What does worry me, though, is that the average Ph.D. thesis seems to be about increasingly narrow themes. What we need is a new Mommsen or Beloch, who can write a new synthesis.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:It's amazing - perhaps shocking, perhaps comforting - that people devote a substantial part of their life to articles about "The Price of Woman's Hair in the Third Century" or "Subsistence Farming in Roman Lusitania". Or kissing in the Talmud.
I think such studies perform two valuable functions, besides teaching us about Romano-Hispanic agriculture. First, they train the individual to build a coherent argument based on the assembling of relevant evidence; and second, they give the individual the opportunity (not always taken) to develop a writing style. However, I concede that I have read PhD theses which were neither logically argued nor elegantly written! :roll:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thought for the Day Vindex 2 1,148 08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Astiryu1