Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capricorn photo help
I did an online search for images of Roman capricorns in frescoes. Not much turned up that was useful for copying.

Does anyone have good images of capricorns preferably from frescoes. I would like to paint a capricorn onto my scutum.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Here's a capricorn from one of the Antonine Wall distance slabs erected by the Second Augusta legion.
[attachment=0:2xxkc3s3]<!-- ia0 Capricorn.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2xxkc3s3]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:© Ross Cowan: I hope he doesn't mind!

No worries! Smile
How about a capricorn from a scutum cover? (reconstructed from the stitching on the leather below...)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Here's a capricorn from one of the Antonine Wall distance slabs erected by the Second Augusta legion.
[attachment=0:2e16pqut]<!-- ia0 Capricorn.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2e16pqut]
Lovely!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the photos.

Does anyone have reconstruction photos i.e. scutum painted symbols.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I've had good luck finding coins with capricorns on them, but I've haven't found a thing from a fresco. The coins all have a pretty consistent style. Good luck!
Travis
[Image: Aigipan.html]
This site is great for reference. The mosaics will actually give you truer colors than the frescoes (they will fade in time, mosaic will not.)
http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Aigipan.html
J.L--Cook
Legio XI
Agesander,

Thanks for the link. That is a great photo.

Paolo
Paolo.
Here is a picture of a Capricorn that I made some time ago this is made from brass, but do not have any pictures of a one in colour I think the only place for that would be maybe from a Mosaic.

This one is taken from a mosaic and a bit classical however the picture I copied from was only black and white, should I come up with a coloured one will will drop you a line.

http://www.listuo.com/sextima/cap.jpg
Brian Stobbs
Brian,

Thanks for the pcitures. That is beautiful. What gauge metal did you use?

Paolo
I forgot to mention that ! The brass is 1/16 inch or 3mm approx, I just hacked it out with a junior hacksaw and a few needle files.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks for the reply Brian

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shield design with goat or Capricorn richsc 6 1,651 10-06-2013, 02:24 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Capricorn help from Tegimen Doc 3 1,503 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Doc