Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Name those TV Romans
Wasn't quite sure which section this should go in - thought it might do least damage here!

I've just started watching the 1969 Doctor Who story The War Games, which featured (briefly) these chaps:

[Image: cap511.jpg]

Horrible, aren't they?

Anyway, given that at the time DW was being made on a budget of about 3d and and a button, I'm guessing these uniforms had been used before - but when? And by who? They seem familiar. Anyone recognise them?
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Hi

You can see the original uniforms in the Elizabeth Taylor 'Cleopatra'. The same gear appears in 'Carry on Cleo' so was obviously available in Britain hence to the BBC.

Horrible as they may be it is still a fact that the audience both then and now would instantly know that they are 'Romans'!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
That's what I thought and was going to check when I got home. No need now.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Well, to be honest, except for the shields, I would have just thought they were shotty attempts at being psuedo romans.....but I've always been picky..... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron at a guess I would say the shields are actually not part of the original kit!

The gear was also used in the 'Viking Queen'. It usually appears to have been worn by cavalry or troops fighting alongside the legionaries, so I suppose in the interests of academic research you could call it 'Movie Roman Auxiliary Type 'A'', Type 'B' being the archers!

It really is just based on Trajan's column with leather jerkin, bracae and a very literal copy of a helmet viewed in at least one scene.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I think some of the horsemen in "Fall of the Roman Empre" also had this kit (besides the shields).

Another question: which actor played Romans in these three movies: Julius Caesar (1953), Spartacus (1960) and Cleopatra (1963) ?
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:I think some of the horsemen in "Fall of the Roman Empre" also had this kit (besides the shields).

Another question: which actor played Romans in these three movies: Julius Caesar (1953), Spartacus (1960) and Cleopatra (1963) ?

John Hoyt

Who was in two different versions of Julius Caesar as well as Caligula though?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
That must be John Gielgud
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je0gTnheVe4
(John Hoyt is in this scene, too)

Which two actors, who much later increased their fame with for their roles in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, played Romans in "I, Claudius" (1976)?
--- Marcus F. ---
Hi

Quote:Which two actors, who much later increased their fame with for their roles in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, played Romans in "I, Claudius" (1976)?

Bernard Hill played Gratus who found Claudius behind the curtain. And John Rhys Davies who played Macro delivered that wonderful speach about Caligula becoming a god. Whenever he moved there was always a loud creak of leather!

Sejanus, Patric Stewart of course, went on to command a Starship, while Kevin McNally went from being the emperors son Castor to a pirate in the Caribbean via the centurionate in Masada!

Sorry I have just watched this on DVD!

Graham.

Reminds me of old-timey American football:
[Image: sneaker.jpg]
Quote:Reminds me of old-timey American football:
Was that in the days of when the wedge formation was still allowed? groan :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_wedge
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Justin of the New Yorkii:2pc5t1k3 Wrote:Reminds me of old-timey American football:
Was that in the days of when the wedge formation was still allowed? groan :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_wedge

They banned that from scrimmage, but crazy as it sounds, it's still allowed on kickoff returns. And yes, it still causes lots of injuries; a lot of the lesser tough guys who aren't athletic enough to play a position get paid to be "wedge busters," and their careers are notoriously short. Matter of fact, one of me beloved Bills snapped his neck busting a wedge a few years ago.
Probably once every 5 - 10 years an NFL players snaps his neck trying to bust a wedge. Sad