Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prototype leather practice spearhead
For practice or for the kids instead of steel or wooden ones.
This is my prototype from black belt leather riveted to the shaft.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Stuff a little fiber of some kind above the end of the wood, inside the leather to help prevent the blade from just folding over (like mine does). When that happens, basically, you're just thrusting with a leather covered stick. Ow.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'd agree with David - our equivalents flop over easily now without padding. We only let kids use them on the legionaries, not each other!

Our best have an authentic leather 'bucket' design enclosing a layer of padding (we all use padded spears for demonstrating training), the ones I knock out quickly include a full size tennis ball under a double cloth cover tied on and locked with a bit of glue: hardly authentic, but larger than an eye socket! I chamfer the edges of the wood and, to be honest, I've thought about padding the butts a bit, because they go in thrusting at eye level heedless of who is behind them.

Confusedhock:
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
For my spearhead I did not use any metal nails, the nails will be pulled out after a while of use. I sew it completely to the wood.
May favourite way is to roll the leather that makes the shape oft the head smaller…
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I think the Cohors Prima gallica ones were made with foam, but I have to ask this.

here you have got a photo
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.