Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hercules Images
Does anyone have any images of Hercules as the Romans often dipcted him?

I need any image of Hercules for a pair of greaves.

Thanks

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I asked a while back Paolo and didn't get much of a reply...I was thinking of painting him on my new vexillum (glad I didn't) but still wouldn't mind an image that I could re-draw of him.

Legion: TBD
Does Hercules have a beard and a lion pelt on his body and wears the lion's head as if it were a helmet?

I found some information on line saying that he wore the Nemean lion skin over his body and the head as the helmet. (I do not know if this is true)

I just wanted to see a depiction of Hercules from Roman times as evidence for the beard and lion.

I know of the Vatican Museum bronze sculpture where Hercules appears as a youth and does not have a beard.

I know Commodus wanted to be called Hercules and on a marble bust of his he wares the lion head and Commodus' face has a beard.

I think beards might have been fashionable then but I wonder if Commodus did not have a beard for the reason of wearing the lion and appearing as Hercules did.

Just thoughts

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There's some Hercules greaves from (IIRC) Straubing or Heddernheim.

I can't find a pic of the original, but here's a reconstruction of a very similar pattern..
(Left)

[Image: 1169715628_user_76_GREAVE3.jpg]

Also, scroll almost to the bottom of this page and you will see a brass greave with an image of hercules.
http://www.romancoins.info/MilitaryEqui ... BodyArmour

Capitoline museum..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/h_savill/537258695/

Farnese..
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elissacorsini/150079094/
J. Garbsch, Römische Paraderüstungen. Katalog der Ausstellung im Germanischen Nationalmuseum Nürnberg 1978/79, München, 1979.

A horse armour, no photo available:
[Image: DSC04316.jpg]
[Image: DSC04317.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
A greave from Straubing:
[Image: DSC04312.jpg]
[Image: DSC04314.jpg]
[Image: DSC04313.jpg]
Note that these are 3rd century, and that the depiction of Hercules on armour is quite typical for the late second and third century, not so much of earlier times.
[/quote]
Christian K.

Quote:[Image: 1169715628_user_76_GREAVE3.jpg]
These in fact are not reconstructions, they are just based on third century motives. The greaves are far to deep for middle / late Roman infantry greaves, the motives are parts from decorations of the Straubing finds. The depth of these greaves would be more that of cavalry greaves, but all other cavalry-greave characteristica are missing.
Christian K.

The so called "Hercules farnesio":

[Image: hercules_farnesio.jpg]

A depiction of Commodus as Hercules:

[Image: commodo.jpg]

A young Hercules, from Tarraco:

[Image: A008264.jpg]
Thanks all for the reply. You have answered my question. I just wanted to know if Hercules was ever depcited with a beard and he is.

He is also depicted with the lion pelt (Commodus as Hercules).

Excellent.

Now I can start my greaves.

Paolo

Paolo
Here´s an other sculpture from Herculaneum, which I really like. Reminds me of my friday nights when I was younger... Smile
[Image: DSC04424.jpg]
And here is a pic to the aforementioned horse armour:
[Image: DSC04425.jpg]

The greaves about which i said are "wrong" in fact are not so wrong at all, as I found out. There is in fact one greave from Slavonski-Brod, now in the RGZM:
[Image: DSC04426.jpg]

Pic in
M. Feugère, Weapons of the Romans, Stroud, 2002, p. 152.
Christian K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hercules Images Sassanid 6 1,745 04-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Last Post: Sassanid