Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Size of the Roman Army at Adrianople
Some authors on this subject state that the army there consisted of 40,000 men but other put the figure at closer to about 15,000 based on the 20 or so units that are named. If the 15,000 is correct why would the battle have been such a turning point? That loss would be no more damaging than the loss of Varus' legions. Is it possible that the 20 units were only the ones that happened to be mentioned by the ancient sources and that other units were also involved? Does the original text imply any additional units?

thanks,

Jeff
Agreed. If 'only' 15.000 were present, why would Ammianus Marcellinus make such a fuss about it?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Civitas,

I have heard the range of numbers too (though I don't know the numbers off the top of my head. My assumption was that it was
1. because the Emperor was lost.
2. because Valens was preparing an invasion of Persia, I assume Persia was preparing for a defense, so Rome could not pull any more troops from the east to save their bacon in Thrace.
3. because it makes good reading, just like the headlines today. Panic! Panic!

Just my guesses.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman cavalry mask discovered in Adrianople, Turkey Robert Vermaat 0 252 02-23-2022, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Size of Late Roman army Jona Lendering 5 1,824 10-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering