Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teutoburg
How does one pronounce this ?

I, in my ignorance, have assumed Teyootoberg.

In his recent TV series on Barbarians ( UK TV ) Terry Jones ( of Monty Python fame ) pronounces it Toytoberg.

Or is there a third way ??????
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Toytoboerg sort of comes closest to the German pronounciation.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Big Grin
KALK-RIE-SE
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Funny... In Spanish, RIESE means 'she/he laughs' :lol:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Terry didn't mention KALK-RIE-SE .... he mentioned someone called Herman though :wink:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
"Hermann" is the Germanized form of "Arminius", the Cheruscan leader. In this way, the past was better connected to the German present.

An interesting parallel is the Frankish leader Chlodevich, who was named Clovis by French scholars, to show that he was in fact called Louis.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote: "Hermann" is the Germanized form of "Arminius", the Cheruscan leader. In this way, the past was better connected to the German present.
Very popular use is 'Herman the German'.... Cry

Quote:An interesting parallel is the Frankish leader Chlodevich, who was named Clovis by French scholars, to show that he was in fact called Louis.
I've also seen Chlodevich transcribed as 'Claudius'.. Any chance that Chlodevich and Claudius can be the same?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I don't know; it would mean that a dental sound (/d/) changes into a labial sound (/v/), which is unlikely, I think, but I am not a linguist.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:An interesting parallel is the Frankish leader Chlodevich, who was named Clovis by French scholars, to show that he was in fact called Louis.

In my old german books it is transcribed Khlodovig, which isn't for it's part very far from Ludwig, as his name is modernized in Germany and Finland, too.
Quote:Big Grin
KALK-RIE-SE

Big Grin

@ Conal: toy toe boo rg

(the last part sounds like Varus' last word... :wink: )
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?