Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alesia
The siege works surrounding Alesia are, of course, well known. Now the English wikipedia refers to the discovery of "the exact location of Alesia ... by aerial archaeology in 2004" (more...). I suppose this refers to the village itself. Unfortunately, there is no reference to any literature. Does anybody know?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:The English wikipedia refers to the discovery of "the exact location of Alesia ... by aerial archaeology in 2004" (more...). I suppose this refers to the village itself. Unfortunately, there is no reference to any literature. Does anybody know?

The Wikipedia article cites Video: Exact location of Alesia at Alise-Sainte-Reine, released in 2004. I would guess that the Wikipedia author has misinterpreted this source as the final proof of Alesia's location.

The video is a clip from a short film called Alésia, vu du ciel: L'oeil de René Goguey, which is about the aerial reconnaissance of René Goguey. René has been flying over Alesia since 1958, and has an archive of over a thousand aerial photos of the site. (He kindly contributed several for my book about Siege Warfare in the Roman World.)

Of course, the site has been known since 1861, when Napoleon III sponsored the first excavations there. And there was a campaign of modern excavations in the 1990s. I think the Wikipedia author has just made a mistake.

Ironically, in the video, René Goguey says, "You need to have an in-depth knowledge of the site, and all the research that has already been carried out here." I know we should be grateful that someone has gone to the trouble of writing a Wikipedia entry, but they don't seem to have had the required "in-depth knowledge of the site"! Sad
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I know we should be grateful that someone has gone to the trouble of writing a Wikipedia entry, but they don't seem to have had the required "in-depth knowledge of the site"! Sad
That's what I was thinking, that the information was erroneous. However, at the moment, they are creating an archaeological park at Alesia. I would not be surprised if there was additional research.
Jona Lendering
My website
Could someone alter that Wikipedia entry?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Could someone alter that Wikipedia entry?
I will do so in a couple of days; perhaps someone over here can confirm that areal photos were in fact taken.
Jona Lendering
My website
Is Alesia then found for sure? I keep hearing that Alesia is here and then there, etc...Were Napoleon´s excavations on the right spot?
[Image: ebusitanus35sz.jpg]

Daniel
I think we can be sure that Alise Ste Reine is Alesia. The site suits Caesar's description, there are very, very substantial archaeological remains, and there's an inscription saying that the town was called Alisiia. That's about as strong as an identification can be, I'd say.
Jona Lendering
My website
Hi Jona,

but may-be that Wikipedia-Article answers a question, that I asked on this forum as my first own topic (but sadly it was never answered). For a diorama (that I am preparing) after Lionel-Noel Royer's famous painting "Vercingetorix throws his arms to the feet of Caesar" I wanted to know the exact date of this event.

So, is it true - after Wikipedia - that this happened at October, 3rd, 52 BC?
Greets and thanks in advance

Uwe

PS: BTW, that would be an interesting circumstance, as the date (not 52 BC) is the day-of-birth of my daughter Julia.
Greets - Uwe
Quote:So, is it true - after Wikipedia - that this happened at October, 3rd, 52 BC?
I don't know; I have never read this.

Quote:BTW, that would be an interesting circumstance, as the date (not 52 BC) is the day-of-birth of my daughter Julia.
Be careful, though: a 3 October on the Roman calendar is not a 3 October in our calendar. Caesar reformed the Republican calendar and Gregorius XIII reformed the Julian calendar. In our, Gregorian, calendar, even the date of Caesar's death -commonly called 15 March 44- becomes 13 March!
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:So, is it true - after Wikipedia - that this happened at October, 3rd, 52 BC?
I was not aware that Caesar had recorded the date. Perhaps someone who has read his account more recently can confirm this?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:mdsw0w7r Wrote:Could someone alter that Wikipedia entry?
I will do so in a couple of days; perhaps someone over here can confirm that areal photos were in fact taken.
Done.
Jona Lendering
My website