Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Recruiting Gripe
You know, for all the complaints I've heard about finding new recruits, it's a little heart breaking when you make multiple contacts to groups via web sites trying to find a group a join, and no one ever gets back to you. :evil:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
Salve Marius
If you had contacted our group we would have replied to you in a timely manner.
Remember that for the most part this is a hobby for most people and they may not check e-mail or posted messages for weeks at a time because a silly little thing like life gets in the way.
Then there is the problem of people who contact you sounding all excited only to disappear without so much as saying "no thank you". I have had four such contacts so far this year, so when someone is serious I probably don't give them the attention they deserve.
Recruitment is difficult in the world of Roman re enactment, because it is so expensive to get kitted up. Add to that the limited number of suppliers of quality material, and the large number of junk suppliers and it becomes both confusing and just a bit "not fun any more" for the new recruit.
Ave
Rustius
Rustius Noricus/Robert
I'm somewhat of a veteran in re-enacting. I was a long-standing member in Legio IX, Hispana and just happened to have moved to New York from San Diego a couple years ago with a brief stop of a year in Texas. Since moving here, I've contacted the local group twice. One time was about six months ago and again about four months ago.

It's not just the Romans, either. I had contacted some WWII groups from local on up the chain of command to national-level members, all with nil response.

At this point, I've even tried contacting Hibernicus of Legio IX about starting an auxiliary chapter in the Albany area and never heard a peep back.

What gives? :?
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
I understand your frustration. What radius in miles would you consider for joining a group? Legio XXIV centurio George(Gallio) Metz is active in the Pennsylvania area as well as the Chicago area. We had members in the Rochester area until just recently, We still have a maybe member in that area. Our area of recruitment is the New York State and Southern Ontario, Canada area. A radius of about two hundred miles. Our base is in Hamilton Ontario. Our members travel long distances because we are the only game in town...or at least the only ones who get back to people who inquire about us.
Click the "www" icon at the bottom of my post to get to the 30th's web site, or You can contact George Metz at [email protected]
If you want to start a chapter of the 30th in the Albany area, I'll give you all the support I can.
Rustius Noricus/Robert
Wow, thanks! I'll check out your group when I get a chance...probably tonight. Will it show up in a Google search?
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
[/quote Will it show up in a Google search? ]
I sincerely doubt it, our website is not a commercial venture, and Google only goes where the money is.
try www.geocities.com/romanlegionlegioxxx I know it is alot to type, but you would have a better chance of finding us if you go directly to the site.
Rustius Noricus/Robert
Tom,

Nice to see you're still about!

We've a budding chapter in VA..

Could use a chapter in NY!

Hibernicus

619.563.5200 workshop
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I have the same problem here in Australia, despite sending e mails to those concerned( as listed on the websites) I am unable to get any feedback or at least acknowledgment of my enquiry. The Napoleonic re enactment group I am in is pretty good in relation to getting in touch with prospective new recruits and i find it strange that other groups would ignore potential new members.
I would like to join an ancient group here in Australia but it does not look likely. Good luck, I wish you well
Keith Hendry
Terra Australis.
I believe that these guys in Drummoyne (a Sydney suburb) may be able to help? http://ancientreplicas.com.au/index.html . They were very friendly when I was in Oz over Christmas.

(And yes, I know that Melbourne is quite a way from Sydney- but it may help...)

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks Caballo,have not tried this group yet, was not aware of them.
Many Thanks
Keith Hendry
Terra Australis.
Hey Tom,

I wouldn't pretend to make excuses for people. I would consider it rude not to take 2 minutes at the most to answer an email from a potential recruit, especially one who is fully outfitted and a veteran to reenacting. Granted, sometimes people forget to reply...i've done it. But if a second email is sent I make sure to reply to it.

The first cohort of Legio XXX VV is based in the Niagara Region...i'm about 20 minutes from the border with Buffalo/Lewiston. I'm also considering becoming active again in the next year, so if you want to give me a shout, feel free.

[email protected]
www.geocities.com/legioxxxcoh1/

Legion: TBD
Yes! There is hope for New York!
~~Gavin Nugent~~

Who told you to die! Keep fighting!

If anyone knows of anything in Long Island, New York please tell me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Recruiting? scotti73 10 2,468 03-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Last Post: scotti73
  Recruiting in Chicago kevair464 0 733 12-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Last Post: kevair464