Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help with Notitia Sites in Serbia and Croatia (?)
Dear all,

am slightly stuck in that I am trying to find anything in the way of publications on two sites (identified as fleet bases at the hand of the Notitia Dignitatum) which I believe are in Serbia or Croatia...

The first is ancient SERVITIUM, now Bosanksa Gradiska/Stara Gradiska. Its identified in Barringtons atlas, but the references are next to useless (being to a book in Serbocroat on Roman Roads that does not present any archaeology...). Does anybody know if there have ever been any excavations at the site, and if they have been published anywhere? Or does the identification rest solely on the possibility of a site here due to surface small finds...

My other little problem is GRAIUM, now Sremska Raca (I belive) for which I can find absolutely nothing...

I know this is all very specific, but is there anyone out there (maybe from the region?) who knows anything about these two sites, and could let me know of any place where I might find some data on it...

Cheers...
C.

PS - if these sites are neither in Serbia nor Croatia I apologize profusely, for my mental geography of that region is abismal... I do NOT intend to hurt anyones patriotic feelings, but am merely dumb!!!!
Christoph Rummel
Sorry for posting this too late, but... About Sremska Racha. There are numerous finds from Sava River now in Museum of Srem in Sremska Mitrovica of roman legionaries equipment- pilla, gladii, lorica hamata-frag., helmets, axes, cauldrons, etc. Try Starinar XXXI 1981, article by P. Miloshevic; and Olga Brukner, Velika Dautova Rusevljan, Petar Milosevic, The Beginnings of Romanization in the Southeastern part of Pannonia Province, (summ. in eng.) Novi Sad 1987. As far as I know there were no protective nor sistematic excavations on the site.
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
Thanks for that!
V. helpful to know that there is at least some stuff in the area...all the articles I had found so far seemed to have been of the opinion that there was nothing there at all...

Still, rather sad that the identification of Graium rests on so little! Maybe a good thing though, less for me to write!!!

Many many thanks for your help!
Christoph
Christoph Rummel