Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Octavian\'s Victory monument at Actium
(From David Meadow's digest)<br>
They are piecing this thing together including the images of Augustus/Octavian and a whole host of other Romans and notables. Has anyone seen any images so far of this?<br>
<br>
"The remains of Augustus' (Octavian's?) victory monument at<br>
Actium has been found (wow):<br>
<br>
www.timesonline.co.uk/art...90,00.html " <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Richard, I just received an email from Dr Walker regarding the actium monument. She said that there were many fragments of frieze depicting weapons and armour and that the best of these were illustrated in a Greek guide to the site by the excavator Dr. Kostantinos Zachos in 2001, To mnemeion tou oktabianou stin Nikopolin. There were some soldiers on the complete slabs showing the triumphal procession, but she stated these were rather heroic, Greek-looking soldiers, and horsemen in trousers. These complete slabs are described by Dr Zachos in his prologue to the guide but not illustrated. The portion of the monument with the captured rams was published by William Murray.<br>
<br>
Hope this is of use to you<br>
Mike Burns <p></p><i></i>
Thanks. Makes you wonder why, with all that, the press decided to carry the story. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I can add that a few days ago I have emailed Dr Zachos about that asking for reference (descriptions and pictures) but he did not answer yet. If he does, I'll keep you posted.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early Praetorians of Antony and Octavian antiochus 12 2,725 06-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Last Post: antiochus
  Octavian\'s Illyrian Campaigns AureliusFalco 3 1,920 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Last Post: AureliusFalco
  The name "Octavian" Jona Lendering 44 8,732 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Last Post: hansvl