Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltway
I've been coming up with odd references to the "Roman Saltway" but I'm not getting very far on finding published material. This web page suggests it's alignment thorough part of Northamptonshire and refers to "a military Roman base in the early years of occupation at Fosters Booth"again I'm not finding anything about that site.
http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Artic...t-Way.html

Does anyone have any shortcuts to literature for me?
Not a shortcut, but Margary's Roman Roads in Britain may help?

Sadly I only have Volume II which does not cover the east side of the country - not even the Towcester area.

The descriptions of the evidence for roads he gives is very detailed and Volume II has helped me in Wales numerous times.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Not a shortcut, but Margary's Roman Roads in Britain may help?

Sadly I only have Volume II which does not cover the east side of the country - not even the Towcester area.

The descriptions of the evidence for roads he gives is very detailed and Volume II has helped me in Wales numerous times.

Moi, get yourself a copy of the 1973 3rd edition which brings all the previous editions and volumes into one book. Can be quite pricey but there's one to be had for £35 at the moment.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
this link was on another thread thanks to Robert;
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2119/1622...57dd_o.jpg

reads like a Saltway from Salinae (Droitwich), Alcester, Towcester, Great Chesterford ending at Camulodumum.A neat East West route if it's for real.
Hi John,
It runs across Leicestershire too, up by the A6 near Loughborough.
Richard Craig AKA Aulus Maximus
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
sounds like another one, could that be heading to the Car Dyke/ Lindum? or coming down from Cheshire rather than Droitwich? can you give a location or ref for the Loughborough one?
The saltway cuts across the A6 just south of Loughborough between the village of mountsorrel and Barrow upon Soar and meets the A46 which follows the route of the Fosse Way. Theres a Roman town site nearby at Willoughby on the Wolds Roman name Vernemetum.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
Further to yesterdays post. The salt way in Leicestershire follows the route of the A6006 in the direction of Melton Mowbray.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
I'm now wondering if the Saltway crossed the Fosse Way at Chesterton any thoughts?
http://www.pastscape.org/hob.aspx?hob_id...perpage=10
It crosses goadby marwood then thistleton and then chesterton but that's on the great north road (A1).
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum
The frustration of unimaginative place names, I'm talking about Chesterton Warwickshire, I think you're over in Rutlandshire
Quote:I'm now wondering if the Saltway crossed the Fosse Way at Chesterton any thoughts?
http://www.pastscape.org/hob.aspx?hob_id...perpage=10

In relation to Harpury Lane?

The info link you've given says Roman occupation from 2nd to 3rd Century and I had rather assumed that you were interested in 1st Century due to your work on Boudicca's last battle.

I could have missed something of course! :oops:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sorry, i did mean Chesterton in Rutland.Can i ask what is behind your interest in the saltway.
Cohors I Tungrorum
Cohors I Batavorum