Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing Insula with Buildings in Nepal
I returned from Italy yesterday, and was lucky enough to get pictures of brick built insulae (apartment blocks). It was striking to me how much they resembled the towns of Bhaktapur and Dulikhel that I visited in Nepal last Easter. Particularly the cramped streets, Pompeii-like pavements, small brick design, shops fronts on the lower level, flats above, and the wooden screens, balconies and shutters.

I took several photos of like there, I've included a few here. I suppose it will be easy to tell which is Rome/Ostia/Herculaneum and which is Nepal!!

[Image: insula-nepal-comparison.jpg]
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
I have a few others, I think they might conjure up urban life amongst the insula quite well!

[Image: Bhaktapur69.jpg]

[Image: Bhaktapur104.jpg]

[Image: Bhaktapur120.jpg]

[Image: Bhaktapur136.jpg]

[Image: Bhaktapur137.jpg]
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Good observation! Not a great deal of difference is there?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
This is a reconstructed model of an insula from Osti, it's certainly reminiscent of the buildings in the 'umbrella' photo.

[Image: Model%20of%20an%20insula,%20Ostia,%20Ita...0Rome..jpg]

I suppose the biggest difference is the insula in Rome (top left top of the photomosaic) has curved concrete ceilings (barrel vaulting?)on the top floor. But I imagine street scenes very similar. I'll have a look for some more...
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis

Quote:Good observation! Not a great deal of difference is there?
We often forget that the Roman Empire, plus it's cities, was little better (if not worse) than a regular Third World country. Comparisons have been made between the Roman Empire and Mozambique (in favour of the latter).

About those buildings, they indeed look very similar in design. The streets could be a little narrower though - what was that quote by some poet that if he wanted, he could shake the hand of the man livving opposite in across the street?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Indeed Paul, it has reminded me of the far east on several levels, when visiting Ostia, and also Athens and other ancient places.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Comparing Britain in AD410 to today\'s woes ParthianBow 9 2,273 06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman Housing Insula Domus Villa Urbana Rustica Weblinks Restitvtvs 0 1,940 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: Restitvtvs
  Roman Homes Domus Insula Villa Restitvtvs 1 2,303 01-25-2007, 07:17 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom