Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman books
I am potentially interested in picking up Late Roman reenacting at some point in the future but my knowledge for the period is very limited. The time period I would like to focus on is the early 4th century AD, roughly around the time from Constantine to Julian.<br>
<br>
The books I mainly use for my general ancient activities (i.e. research, fun, serious study) are Greece and Rome at War and Warfare in the Classical World, good books to be sure but not exactly focused on the period I'm looking to expand my horizons bookwise. I've begun to make the rounds of the Late Roman websites (Fectio, Britannia), but I work best with books.<br>
<br>
Any suggestions? Original sources, general information on the period, and especially books with lots of visual references for weapons, equipment, dress, and tactics are what I am looking for. Vegetius a good source? Forgive any ignorance I have shown, that's partially why I am interested in the period<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
scanning my library quickly, I come up with a few titles... but they may be out of print....<br>
"The Rise and Decline of the Late Roman Field Army" by Cromwell; "Late Roman Empire" by Downey; "Warfare in Roman Europe, Ad 350-425" by Elton; "Roman Eastern Frontier and the Persian Wars: Part II, 363-628 AD" by Greatrex; "Late Roman Cavalryman 236-565 AD" and "Late Roman Infantryman 236-565 AD" by MacDowall; "The Later Roman Empire: A.D. 354-378" by Marcellinus; "Romano-Byzantine Armies 4th - 9th Century" by Nicolle; "Late Roman Army" by Southern; "Roman Military Clothing (2): Ad 200-400" by Sumner and "The military institutions of the Romans" [by] Flavius Vegetius Renatus.<br>
<br>
That should give you a start, some are Osprey publications and rather inexpensive. The JRMES has lots of information about Late Roman Army Artifacts as well. <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
A few more:<br>
<br>
Ammianus Marcellinus: the Later Roman Empire (AD 345-37, trans. Walter Hamilton, notes by Andrew Wallace-Hadrill, (Penguin Classics, London, 1986).<br>
Drinkwater, J.F. and Hugh Elton eds. (1992): Fifth-century Gaul: a Crisis of Identity?, (Cambridge).<br>
Gallien in der Spätantike, von Kaiser Constantin zu Frankenkönig Childerich, catalogue, (Mainz 1980).<br>
Goffart, Walter (1980): Barbarians and Romans, AD 418-584. The Techniques of Accommodation, (Princeton).*<br>
Hassall, Mark and Robert I. Ireland (eds.) (1979): Aspects of De Rebus Bellicis, Papers presented to E.A. Thompson, BAR International Series 63 (B.A.R., Oxford).<br>
Hoffmann, Dietrich (1969): Das Spätrömische Bewegungsheer und die Notitia Dignitatum, 2 vols., Epigraphische Studien 1, (Rheinisches Landesmuseum Bonn).<br>
Johnson, Stephen (1976): The Roman Forts of the Saxon Shore, (Paul Elek, London).<br>
Jones, A.H.M. (1964): The Later Roman Empire, 284-602, A Social, Economic and Administrative Survey, 2 vols. (Oxford paperback 1990).<br>
Jones, A.H.M., J.R. Martindale and John Morris. (1970): The Prosopography of the Later Roman Empire vol.1 A.D. 260-395, (Cambridge).<br>
Liebeschütz, J.H.W.G. (1990): Barbarians and Bishops, Army, Church, and State in the Age of Arcadius and Chrysostom, (Clarendon Press, Oxford).<br>
Macdowall, Simon and Angus McBride (ill.) (1996): Germanic Warrior, 236-568 AD, Warrior 17, (Osprey, London). Macdowall, Simon and Howard Gerrard (ill.) (2001): Adrianople 378 AD, Campaign 84, (Osprey, London).<br>
Mathisen, Ralph W. and Hagith S. Sivan eds. (1996): Shifting Frontiers in Late Antiquity, (Variorum, Aldershot).<br>
Maurikios: Strategikon, Handbook of Byzantine Military Strategy, trans. by George T. Dennis, (Philadelphia 1984).<br>
Pearson, Andrew (2002): The Roman Shore Forts, Coastal Defences of Southern Britain, (Tempus, Stroud).<br>
Southern, Pat and Karen Dixon (1996): The Late Roman Army, (Routledge).<br>
Stephenson, I.P. (1999): Roman Infantry Equipment, the Later Empire, (Tempus).<br>
Swift, Ellen (2000): The End of the Western Roman Empire, An Archaeological Investigation, (Tempus, Stroud).<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the list guys! This will give me a great start<br>
<br>
BTW Robert, I love your site, its really informative. Are you guys going to get a detailed page on kit up any time soon? I'd be very interested to read it <p></p><i></i>
Ave Paulus,<br>
<br>
I have a Late Roman/Arthurian Reenactment Yahoo group.<br>
<br>
groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/<br>
<br>
and there is Lvcivs Metellus' page<br>
<br>
www.kylosa.com/Hosting/Wa...cunda.html<br>
<br>
Where abouts are you?<br>
<br>
Dave <p>[url=http://www.freewebs.com/davekufner" target="top]www.freewebs.com/davekufner[/url]</p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>Are you guys going to get a detailed page on kit up any time soon?<hr><br>
<br>
Not any sooner than when I find the time for that...<br>
the plans are there for a helmet section, a 'how to..' articles about tunics and plumbatae, etc., etc.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
@ Dave - I live in northeastern British Columbia, nearest group is in Edmonton, I think<br>
<br>
@ Robert - Great! I plan to build a scutum per your directions at some point in the future, but being a poor student time and money are precious commodities. Seize the day is the appropriate phrase I guess!<br>
<br>
Paul <p></p><i></i>