Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salve!
Hi! I am new to RAT and so it thought I'd jot a few lines about meeself. I have been interested in Rome and her military for about ten years now, having first caught the bug when i visited the Cleveland(Ohio) Museum of Art and saw some coins. I bought a book on Rome in their gift shop and have been hooked since! I am HUGELY interested in the Roman Army in all her forms:from the Pre-Camillan Era to Late Antiquity. I especially like the Late Republic and Trajanic Periods.I would love to take part in living history eventually, but a new baby has put that on hold! I am also interested in military history in general and hope to make a career of it. I am married and have a son(whom i named Aurelius Big Grin !) My wife is also interested in Rome and helps me correct my awful Latin! I am looking forward to participating and learning from everyone! Gratias Tibi!!!! Tony Butara(Aurelius Falco!
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)
Tony,
Welcome to Living History/Reenacting. It sounds like you are exactly where I was about a dozen years ago (did it go by that quick?). I had just started my family when I got involved with the American Civil War community. Roman followed soon thereafter. Warning, it's highly addictive. Don't let minor things like a scarcity of time or money stand in your way, especially if you're lucky enough to have a wife who shares your interest. Reenacting is a great family activity. Since you're from Media Atlantica I hope we'll see you at Roman Days this spring. Several of us from Legion III CYR usually make it down to Virginia/Maryland wherever it's being held. If it's money that's holding you up, I think in some ways it's better not to buy anything before you start. That way you don't waste money on poor quality kit. The best way is to contact your local groups. Depending on where you live that would probably be LEG XX or LEG XXIV. Both groups are full of supportive folks who can help you get started. Most Legions have loaner gear available. If they can't help, PM me and if need be I'll see if we can make suitable arrangements.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
We are closer to the XX, which I am leaning towards joining. My family and I are planning on visiting roman days this year and so i thought I would talk to them to get a idea of what I'd be getting myself into Big Grin My wife also is interested....though she is a bit disappointed that we couldn't be "married" if I were a soldier! Such is a soldiers life! lol Thanks!
Aurelius Falco (Tony Butara)