Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding Vexellium
I am planning on making a vexellium and thought about using brass appliques to make the letters and the lamda shapes.

However, as far as I know, all fragmentary evidence points to paint and not metal appliques. However, we do know that metal lamda appliques have been found and could belong to a scutum or for a vexellium?

Nonetheless, I do not think it is "wrong" to use metal appliques however it appears that since paint was used, it would be the more "accurate" choice.

Have any studies or chemical analysis been carried out as to the type of paint used on these fragmentary samples i.e. the linen vexellium found in Egypt.

Does anyone know the results of any studies?

I know that milk based paints are the favored choice for paint. However, I would think that milk paint on cloth would not hold out very well.
Is there any evidence of oil based paints being used in Roman times?

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I don't know for sure about oil paints, but oil paints without volatile solvents dry very slowly, so they might not make good paint for a banner like a vex. There were wax-based paints, but I don't know if that's what was used on them, either. It could be that they were replaced from time to time, or repainted as needed, or both.

Not much help from here, I reckon. Cry
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Have you considered using fabric appliques ? Just cutting out lettering from another piece of wool or linen and then stitching them onto the vexillum ? Yes, it will take a while to stitch them on but at least that way you avoid the hazards of using paints. Or, just glue them on !

~Theo
Jaime
How about metal appliques? They would serve the same function as the cloth appliques.

Is there any evidence of using wool for a vexellium instead of linen. Would wool be "accurate" eventhough the only extent example from Egypt is linen? I think that the material used would be regional.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I did a little test patch with casein paint on a scrap of linen, and it seems to be holding up fine. It's been kicking around on my workbench, getting shoved aside or piled up with tools, or even grabbed for a rag once or twice, and so far the paint doesn't seem to be flaking off at all! Heck, just spill some of the stuff on your shirt and try to wash it out after it dries... So I have the feeling that casein will work.

With only one surviving vexillum, paint on linen is all we can really document. Wool just seems unlikely for that sort of thing, but that's just a gut feeling. I'm a little leery of metal appliques, just because there isn't any evidence. Embroidery I'm okay with, if you want an alternative to paint.

Like I said, mostly gut feelings. Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks all for the response.

Matt,

I was thinking the same thing about metal appliques. However, I did not think of it as a far stretch since the Romans, after being in Rome for a third time and just arrived a few days ago, used just about everything and just about every color to get their fancy.

But I am with you on the Vex. I already have wine red linen. I will order some casein paint and have a go.

Thanks again.

Paolo
Quote:I will order some casein paint and have a go.
It's a good idea to paint white, then the color over the white. It helps keep the cloth color from showing through the paint.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What type of linen should be used? A heavy canvas-like linen or linen that would be used for a tunic?

Instead of using a outside fringe that I then have to sew onto the linen, I will fray the bottom of the Vex and then twist the frayed ends into cords. I did this with my pteryges.

Thanks for the tip Demetrius.

Paolo
My guess would be very fine linen. Ours is actually silk, since that's what I had on hand years ago when we needed a vexillum in a hurry.

Fringing the bottom of the fabric is a good idea--some ancient fabric was actually woven that way, with ends or sides fringed. Just be very careful to cut the piece very straight. If the sides are not parallel to the warp and weft threads, your fringed hem can end up slanted!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matt,

Thanks again for the input.

Paolo