• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roman Helmet
Well, it's new to me...
I found this on royalathena.com
1st century helmet...
Johnny Shumate
Again...
Johnny Shumate
Wonderful stuff. It looks almost like a Gallic 'I', but ... the neck is horisontal, and no embossed 'eyes'. I wonder where it was found.

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Very interesting- and as you say, Celer, some similarities with an I.
Some differences too:-
-Crest knob slit very shallow
-No carrying handle on neckguard
-No side plume holders
-No rear crest holder
-No eyebrows (as you point out)

My cynical mind points out that these are all details that (bar the eyebrows) are tricky to spot on the easily accessible photos of the Aquincum helmet?? :?

But, if real, very interesting indeed!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Here is another view.
[Image: CLW54thr.jpg]

The write up says "ROMAN BRONZE HELMET OF THE WEISENAU/MAINZ TYPE

The hemispherical crown with browpiece and attachment hook for crest, rivets remaining for browband (now missing), three occipital ridges above the large flaring neck-guard, with attachment loop, pierced finial with fore-and-aft slot to hold crest, interior hinges for cheekpieces.
Cf. M. Junkelmann, Römische Helme, vol. VIII, pp.126-128; H. Pflug et al., Antike Helme, no. 114, p. 530.

Ex English private collection; American private collection.

1st Century AD

H. 8 in. (20 cm.)

CLW54
$57,500"

Anyone have any info on this piece ?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
A very interesting helmet! and a very nice shape too. Possibly less deep than the Gallic I exmples from Mainz, Aquincum and the Axel Guttmann collection. That may be due to the flat neck guard making it appear less deep. But a definate similarity to them all.

Another small difference to the Gallic I from Mainz is that this example has only one step on the neckguard (double hemispherical) whereas the Mianz example has a second smaller step.

The Guttmann example has not only the two standard steps but an additional raised decoration too. Something akin to 'wings' under the second step.

The Type I from Aquincum hasn't got neck guard 'steps' at all, just raised ridges excecuted in the same way as the eyebrows to look like steps.

Personally I see more in common with this helmet... Also from the Guttmann collection. .. Note in particular the almost identical crest knob, and strikingly similar shape cheek guard decoration to the Aquincum helmet.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... 65326x.jpg
Something interesting in the neck-guard. Look closely and there seems to be a ring attachment riveted to the outside! Perhaps the prototype of the more robust carrying handle?

Also the peak is folded over in the Italic fashion

Celer.
Marcus Antonius Celer/Julian Dendy.
Ah yes.

A similar feature can be seen on the Coolus type D from Hoennepel, including the L section browguard.

As for it being a forerunner for the carrying handle, I'm not sure. There are contemporary helmets which have carrying handles.
Folded peak is also on the Coolus E from Nijmegen
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Thanks Paul!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
If Robinson had seen this helmet, he would have likely classified it among the Italic Cs. It is interesting that this one has the Coolus type crest mount instead of the Italian twist.

The fact that both types of mounts may be seen on the type of helmet suggests that the italian mount on the Gallic I in Nurenburg may not necessarily have had a coolus type crest holder like the Aquincum, though it is probably more likely.